I Forge Iron

Blades I finished recently

AMcGuire

so what did you coat them with to prevent rust?

Have you ever seen an old plain high carbon steel kitchen knife?  They have a patina after years of use.  That is what you should expect for a plain high carbon steel knife UNLESS you keep it coated to prevent rust.

Cool. In the pic of the last one, I'm guessing you made the sheath? I may have you make me a few, for the knives I'm selling at camp.

Littleblacksmith

Carbon steel knives will always rust.. It's the reason they developed Stains less steels.. 

Lots of people who were old enough to remember when stainess steels started to take over the market used to tell me what a shame it is as stainsless steel knives just don't hold the same edge..    I can remember even back in the 70's that all the pocket knives were in carbon steels..  All of a sudden the only way to get a carbon steel knife was to order it.. 

Knife edge retention I feel carbon steels win out.. But then again it's my preference.. 

Nice work.. 

I coat my knives with olive oil and on some I have put a vinegar patina. The knives don't rust horrible if you regularly oil them but as soon as you slack off they rust like crazy.

Here is the sheath for the first one.

1496632500405-521396866.jpg

Tanning comes from Tannic acid in the Tan bark---of veg tanning.  Tannic acid and iron makes a blue black stain on a blade or on wood if a steel nail is driven into an oak tree.  This can be used on purpose.

So this is the reason that a plain steel knife or a gun should not be stored in veg tanned leather.

8 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Tannic acid and iron makes a blue black stain on a blade or on wood if a steel nail is driven into an oak tree.  This can be used on purpose.

A similar effect can be created by dissolving rust in white vinegar and then applying the resulting liquid to a piece of oak. This is the main part of creating a traditional ebonized finish.

10 hours ago, JHCC said:

A similar effect can be created by dissolving rust in white vinegar and then applying the resulting liquid to a piece of oak. This is the main part of creating a traditional ebonized finish.

Good ol' vinegaroon. I made a bookcase recently and wanted it to look like a weathered antique. Used rough cut lumber, made about 75 square nails for it and stained it with vinegaroon. I love the way it made it look.

I demonstrated this effect rather unwittingly the other day.  I was using a scrap piece of leather as a backing pad for some abrasive paper to polish out a hollow ground portion of a blade.  After an hour or so the leather turned black, and my thumbs are still stained :)

Has anyone considered using chrome tanned leather instead of vegetable tanned leather?

Also, coating the leather with a varnish might also work. I have not researched the varnish idea. (those books and files are still in storage, & will be shipped here shortly.)

SLAG.