I Forge Iron

Present for Grandson

Panzer

Here is my first attempt at any kind of project that I was willing to give to someone.  A small hatchet that I gave to my 7 year old grandson for Christmas last year. It was made from a 16oz ballpein hammer. Heat treated and tempered the blade only. I used vinegar and salt with a battery charger to do the etching before heat treating it. On the hammer end I used a triangle file to cut a waffle pattern like you would see on a framing hammer.  Sorry, I didn't get any photos of that. The handle is make from a piece of hickory that a friend of mine gave me (he uses it for smoking sausage).

Not top quality work I know. The flaws are to many to count. I see them. You see them. He doesn't, and that alone make me proud enough to share :D.  Matter of fact he thinks "it's the best hatchet in the world". 

I also know it is well after Christmas, but, I have been out of town 4 weeks out of every 5 for the last nine months.  Home now thank goodness.

after.thumb.JPG.de73cc089ccf83e89b64c72e22c1f871.JPG

45 minutes ago, Panzer said:

Not top quality work I know. The flaws are to many to count. I see them. You see them. He doesn't, and that alone make me proud enough to share :D.  Matter of fact he thinks "it's the best hatchet in the world". 

You are too modest. That's great work. Anyway, one little boy thinks it's top quality work and that's what matters. And I bet he thinks you're the best Grandpa in the world! That's a very happy story. I feel better for having read that!

4 hours ago, CWest said:

That is the type of gift he will hopefully pass to his grandson someday, along with it's story.

I appreciate the comments, Even though it is not blacksmith related this is the gift I gave him on his 4th Christmas:

open1.jpg.c47d1f0780cb8d69d5d83acf06404bf0.jpgclosed1.jpg.0e39ca6d6180d5de48c23410674fb982.jpg

2ft wide x 3ft long x 2ft deep (approx.). Red cedar(toy box). I think I am a better carpenter than I am a blacksmith. I have had more practice at it. But, I do enjoy hitting hot steel versus working with dead tree carcasses. :P The steel is more "alive" under my hammer than a piece of wood ever was.

Edited by Panzer
clarity of project

I have to agree, you are too modest by half. There's no doubt that's the best hatchet in the world, I've never seen finer. The only thing better than using a tool you made with your own hands is using one your Grandfather made with his own hands. 

The toy box is a dazzler. You have a couple lucky grandkids.

Will you adopt me please? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU REMOVE CLASP ON FRONT. I read several times a year about kids locking themselves or being locked in containers during play.  some have tragic endings.

I tried to give my grandkids hammers but my Daughter told them that they were toys to play with only at Grandpa's house and couldn't go home with them...I'm working on a set of toolboxes for the grandkids now with eggbeater drills and screwdrivers---trying to stay ahead of the grandkid production (4 kids and 7 going on 8 grandkids now)...

5 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU REMOVE CLASP ON FRONT. I read several times a year about kids locking themselves or being locked in containers during play.  some have tragic endings.

My best childhood friend nearly died that way. He was unconscious and turning blue when his mom found him and (fortunately) was able to revive him. 

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

6 hours ago, JHCC said:

My best childhood friend nearly died that way. He was unconscious and turning blue when his mom found him and (fortunately) was able to revive him. 

Thank you both for your concern. The picture I posted of the toy box was taken right after I completed it and before I gave it to him.  Great minds must think alike because as soon as my wife saw it the first thing I had to do was remove the clasp (it honestly never dawned on me it could be a hazard).  The second thing I had to do was replace the limiters on the inside with the type that would open and HOLD open the lid if it was raised above the halfway point to keep it from falling on his head or smashing fingers (I think she was more worried about his fingers than his head. Boy's head is hard as an anvil :lol:).