I Forge Iron

napkin rings

I don't know if you would call this metal sculpture or carvings. Maybe metal bending.

These are standard dinner forks heated in the forge and then wrapped around a 25mm diameter pipe. They make great napkin rings. Well, different anyway.

Op shops are a good source of old forks. You can make a set of six all with the same pattern on the handle or a mixed bunch like these:

napkins.JPG

Thanks Slag. You are too kind.

These things are so simple, but simplicity is often a good thing. They are interesting conversation pieces at dinner parties. And I think people must use forks for a lot of creative art, because the op shops always seem to have hundreds of knives and spoons but very few forks. I do buy up a few table knives though, as they make great dragonfly wings. Haven't got a creative use for spoons yet, other than wall hooks.

Yes, that's a good idea. It's no problem to buff up the outside to a bright finish, but the inside curves remain dull. The good thing is that they don't require any further finishing and seem to remain bright indefinitely.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, CTBlades said:

I love this idea. I have a whole box of forks to use. A set of these would be an awesome gift, may I borrow your idea?

Sure! Glad you like them.