I Forge Iron

My new to me Brooks anvil

Here is my new (to me) 140 lbs John Brooks anvil.

P1020087.thumb.JPG.51957fbe9470db74783785c10257d308.JPG

It seems to me in pretty good condition. I could not find a suitable ball bearing for a rebound test, so I used my limited experience to check the rebound using
a small ball peen hammer, my 2 lbs swedish pattern hammer and my 3 lbs french pattern hammer you see on the picture. Without hitting too hard in front of the previous owner, it seemed to have a good rebound and it rang with a clear, high, long lasting note.

The face and the edges are pretty clean for a used anvil.

P1020082.thumb.JPG.b29faf1e5a3ac7a68ab000a7bbbd0439.JPG

Two small concerns are some small pin pricks with one bigger hole near the table and the horn. My guess is that they came from the casting process.
I do not believe they will affect the anvil's performance much, but you guys are the experts.

P1020084.thumb.JPG.9da606d6bcbb9feeec45fea364dd5dff.JPG

The other defect is that a previous owner seemed to have ground off small section of the heel, maybe to remove some markings.

P1020085.thumb.JPG.9f34d52fd8a3b5068aaa8a5a968bec37.JPG

Price was quite higher than what I've seen around here but availability in Quebec is not the same as in the States, so it drive prices up.
So if you guys think that it is in good condition, I'll be fine with the higher price.

Thanks!

It's unfortunate that someone took a grinder to it, but all in all, that's a pretty nice anvil. Face and edges look really clean. If those pin pricks and that one hole are the only defects, than I would say you found an awesome anvil. 

Very nice anvil! Brooks anvils are very high quality and yours is in great condition. I suspect that both spots of damage you see are caused by a cutting torch. I hate to see this happen to nice anvils. Anvil are not cutting tables! My Brooks anvil has about a 1 inch long torch cut in the heel end. It does not really affect its use but sure looks bad.

Enjoy that anvil!

Dan

Thanks everyone.
As a relative beginner who wasn't a 100% sure if he was making the right call, this is really appreciated.

2 hours ago, Zeroclick said:

Nice anvil I have exactly the same one and love it. You might want some magnets on the heel to deaden the ring and your ears will thank you.

Thanks for the advice.
How big and strong of a magnet are we talking about?

She's a beauty, excellent condition, very nice size and only paid too much, good score! It'd be a great to super great score here but we're even less connected to the lower 48 than you are.

I like a steel stand for taking the painfully LOUD out of anvils but there are other methods of quieting them down.

Torch cuts on anvils make me want to put their torch where it won't hurt any more anvils! Sans lube. :angry:

Frosty The Lucky.