I Forge Iron

Farrier Anvil, 125 LB., Centaur model M2066

Nope, but i'll take it off your hands ;).. i mean you wouldnt want it just laying around taking up space right...

In all seriousness this looks like a very nice anvil, should be worth something. Someone here will be able to help you out

Greetings Csinesi,

Great anvil made for Centaur forge by Kohlswa in Sweden., I have one that is like new and would not sell it for anything under 1k..  They are hard to find now days, What is the asking price? 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

BTW.    It should weigh 135         

Thanks everyone.  It's been on my porch for 10 years and in my family for over 40.   I have a friend who really wants it to do some iron work.   We are downsizing and I never really thought about parting with it seriously until he asked for it.   My father used it in Kansas when he went to Kansas State University to shoe horses to put himself through college.   I really had no idea how much it was worth just wanted to check before I gave it away.   But I will definitely ask him never to sell it

135 lbs really??  Geez

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Kenny O, look at your last pic, it says Made in Sweden.  They were made in Sweden by Kohlswa and imported by Centaur in Burlington, Wisc.  I have the same anvil I purchased from a retiring Farrier, although th.e anvil has been modified a bit to the farrier's preference...He ground off the back including the pritchel hole.  If you look closely at mine ... you can see this is where he did most of his work and even where he filled in the pritchel hole.

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

21 hours ago, elkshot said:

Kenny O, look at your last pic, it says Made in Sweden.

Those Centaur anvils were probably about the best horseshoers anvils ever made. They certainly set the standard for all the others to try to match.

Was a shame yours was tragically mutilated by somebody trying to copy a Bruce Daniels pattern. It also appears that it's previous owner did Race Horses.

George

For a period of time, Noted horseshoer Bruce Daniels designed and patented that boattail style of anvil.(late'70s-early'80s) Centaur made a small number for him then the contract to mass produce them went to GE. After they got out of the anvil business I believe AP of Texas made that style for a while. Not sure who, if anybody makes that style now but there are plenty to be found out there. Mr Daniels told me years ago it was to make it easier to work pony shoes over the heel. I'd also be inclined to think it easier to pull side or quarter clips over that tapered area too. It was a very popular pattern for a while but it ran its course like all horseshoeing fads. It was also Mr Daniels who introduced the idea of a groove in the anvil face in his anvils. This was handy for pritcheling out light racing plates. I'm inclined to think personally that he was inspired a lot by the Continental patterns he saw used in Europe that Americans hadn't discovered yet. Clearly his idea appears to be a hybrid. Looks like what you get for offspring when a London marries a Continental.;)

JMNTBCHO that style of heel is a solution in search of a problem. In the case of the pictured butchery it caused problems by eliminating the pritchel holes necessitating carving the groove in it further weakening the heel. The individual who did that should have just gone ahead and bought what he wanted.

Another thing about the one pictured is it has lugs arc welded onto it's sides near the base. Those lugs used to come with a swage block hold down marketed by thoro'bred. The hold down came with two springs that attached to those lugs. Unfortunately for many of us, we learned the hard way that those springs never fastened securely enough to keep the holddown secure so we all found other better ways to get it done but not before welding those lugs on lol!

Presence of them tells me this guy was practicing swaging race plates, in all likelihood for his racetrack and/or Union test.

George

On 6/1/2018 at 12:10 PM, George Geist said:

Just depends what kind of work you use it for. If you made horseshoes they'd be indispensable.

George

Yes of course,  I would like to have the tools that fit in the holes. Did it come with some, or were they assumed to be made by the farrier?

2 hours ago, Kenny O said:

Yes of course,  I would like to have the tools that fit in the holes. Did it come with some, or were they assumed to be made by the farrier?

Hardy hole (the square one) is for bottom tools. Cutoff hardies, bottom fullers,swages etc. Pritchel holes are for punching holes in your stock. Horseshoers anvils have two of them because horseshoers tend to punch a lot of holes. Horseshoers pritchels can be bought but are just as easily forged. Before the British taught us to use good air hardening tool steel to make our pritchels most of us made them out of coil spring. It didn't take long for them to become a casualty so we spent a lot of time reforging and redressing our pritchels. It would take about 8 to 10 of them to get one through a good day's work. Using better quality steel we can use one for years only needing to redress it every now and then.

Besides their intended purpose of being there to punch holes, often there were bottom tools such as hold downs that could be put into them as well as nail headers and such. See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pritchel 

On some of the sites that sell hand tools you can see pictures of them.

Hope that helps

George