I Forge Iron

First few knives

cedarghost

I'm really new to blacksmithing and blade making. I've only been at it a couple of months. These are the first few knives I've made and the first tool I have made, a set of tongs. None of them are show worthy but I figured I'd post them up and just say hi and thanks for all the information you guys have made available here.

I built my own forge with a Frosty-style t-burner and have picked up a few tools that I could afford. I learned a ton on each of these knives, mostly what NOT to do the next time! These were all made with scrap mower blades. Maybe not the best material, but I was able to harden them and they work just fine for practice. The tongs were made with bar stock I bought at Lowe's.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Questions and feedback are definitely accepted!

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2221.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

First pair of tongs, maybe not the prettiest I've ever seen, but hey if they do the job they're good and you'll have learned making them, the next pair will be better looking I'm sure.

As for the blades, they look well to me and same applies as regards function.

The handle on the first knife I think could have benefited from a little more shaping but that's probably more a matter of taste/preference, I mentioned on a previous post how I much liked that blade and it's not too late to tidy that fuller up.

All in all, you've plenty to be proud of there.

You're off to a strong start, Jeff is it? I agree, the tongs look just fine, function reigns over form, pretty doesn't hold better. I agree with Smoggy, the first knife could use some cleaning up of the fit and finish and the fuller. However it looks to be perfectly functional.

Well done all round!

Frosty The Lucky.

44 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

First pair of tongs, maybe not the prettiest I've ever seen, but hey if they do the job they're good and you'll have learned making them, the next pair will be better looking I'm sure.

As for the blades, they look well to me and same applies as regards function.

The handle on the first knife I think could have benefited from a little more shaping but that's probably more a matter of taste/preference, I mentioned on a previous post how I much liked that blade and it's not too late to tidy that fuller up.

All in all, you've plenty to be proud of there.

Yes. I cleaned that fuller up a little. I'm going to hit it again this weekend. That blade was designed by my 12 year old and I let him do a bit of the work on them so there are some good memories forged into that blade.

Those tongs.....oh man were they a pain. I tried to watch a youtube video then dive in. After about two hours, I gave up and put it away for the evening. Then got up the next day and drew everything out on paper and was able to finish them up. More proud of those than any of the knives! lol I am planning to put the blademaking on hold for a bit and just work on making some more tools. I REALLY enjoyed it. 

39 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You're off to a strong start, Jeff is it? I agree, the tongs look just fine, function reigns over form, pretty doesn't hold better. I agree with Smoggy, the first knife could use some cleaning up of the fit and finish and the fuller. However it looks to be perfectly functional.

Well done all round!

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes sir. It's Jeff. Fit and finish is pretty tough for me but I'm learning every time. That last knife was made at the request of my mother, who wanted a good "tater peeler". She said it works pretty good. It was really tough to grind and sharpen on that inside curve.

Oh...that brass guard on that top knife started out life as a candy dish from the Goodwill. I cut her up and melted her in my new forge then poured into a styrofoam mold packed in sand and then shined her up. Point being, that t-burner you designed gets PLENTY hot.... 

Thanks for the compliments!

On 4/1/2017 at 10:08 PM, 1776 said:

Wow. Those are some really sweet blades!

Thank you. I have a lot to learn and this is a great site to help with that.

On 3/31/2017 at 7:31 PM, Frosty said:

Taking the bit in your teeth are you John? :P

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh boy......:lol:

I notice you guys like to do this occasionally. 

I'm about to make a bolt for the door.....

Good start! Keep up the good work!

On 4/1/2017 at 10:08 PM, 1776 said:

<snip>

1776, if you're going to quote a post, please delete any part of it that you're not specifically replying to, especially pictures. Extra text and images really eat up bandwith, and (believe it or not) some of our members still access the site with dial-up.

5 hours ago, cedarghost said:

Is a bolt a good beginner project. I need to line up a few projects to start out. Although my doors don't really need any at the moment.

Frosty, I almost used a bit for the rivet holes in my tongs, but what self-respecting blacksmith would do that when they could slit and drift it? As for my mouth, I don't even like it when the dentist gets a bit near it, let alone trying my own hand at it.

Besides the many projects listed on this site there are over 100 listed in the iforge section of anvilfire.com (drop down menu navigate anvilfire)  Add that to the projects listed in books like Backyard Blacksmith, The Complete Blacksmith, Country Blacksmithing, etc there are a LOT of projects ready to be made...

On 4/3/2017 at 7:37 AM, JHCC said:

Good start! Keep up the good work!

1776, if you're going to quote a post, please delete any part of it that you're not specifically replying to, especially pictures. Extra text and images really eat up bandwith, and (believe it or not) some of our members still access the site with dial-up.

Yeah... sorry about that. I'll remember next time.

On 4/3/2017 at 6:30 AM, cedarghost said:

Thank you. I have a lot to learn and this is a great site to help with that.

Oh boy......:lol:

I notice you guys like to do this occasionally. 

These little diversions are a staple around here. John Caries on now and then to bridge the gaps.

Frosty The Lucky.