I Forge Iron

Fleur de lys-critique requested

Overall I like the bottom one more. I've never even attempted to make one of these so take the following comments accordingly. The top point and tighter scroll seem to be a little nicer on it. However I'm not too fond of the bottom part. I hate to say it but it makes me think of fish fins, it's really jarring compared to the upper half. If you scrolled the bottom half like you did the the top half I think it would look more better. 

I am very fond of the Fleur De Lys, it is a significant symbol to my family. I do think that the first one is much more traditional, but I also agree with previous comments, that the scroll work on the second is much better. I read somewhere that when you try new things in blacksmithing, you learn to do something, then do it ten more times before you have mastered it. Maybe a few more tries and some configuration of the previous two and you will have what you are looking for. Keep hammering.

I like the bottom one better because the top one looks too sharp and pointy, and seems more asymmetrical. I don't really like the bottom of the second piece; definitely reminds one of fish fins! If you combined the top of number 2 with the bottom of number one, that would look best IMHO and be pretty close to what most 'traditional' fleur de lys look like.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Jclonts82 said:

Old topic reply, but I like the top one.

Clean lines, plus it reminds me of my own that I have been working on. First attempt, also first damascus billet work... A little un-symmetrical, but meh!

Bought Damascus or made Damascus?

I made the Damascus, 7 layers of 1095 and 15n20, hot-cut/folded 4 times by hand.

I didn't want to try a blade with my first attempt of forge welded steel, so made something artistic, where any inclusions/bad welds that might be there wouldn't matter for structural integrity... Good mothers day gift I'm thinking, she loves the Fleur de lis pattern so this is my work in progress.

2 hours ago, Jclonts82 said:

I made the Damascus, 7 layers of 1095 and 15n20, hot-cut/folded 4 times by hand.

I didn't want to try a blade with my first attempt of forge welded steel, so made something artistic, where any inclusions/bad welds that might be there wouldn't matter for structural integrity... Good mothers day gift I'm thinking, she loves the Fleur de lis pattern so this is my work in progress.

bless you.. It looks great..  Keep it up..