I Forge Iron

Possible anvil find

I've been on the anvil hunt. Most that I have come across in the area have been in too rough a condition or too high a price (or both) for me to bite. One recently came available that isn't perfect, but I think could be usable condition and at a better asking price than others I've found. Looking to see if others might be able to identify the anvil and give some input on if there are visible condition issues to look out for. I haven't seen it in person yet to do the tests. It isn't a short drive to look at it, so I'd like some confidence it might be worth the trip. I think it might be a Peter Wright because of what looks like a mark that I think says Solid Wrought, but would love some insight from the more knowledgeable. It's also marked 124, but I know based on brand that might be pounds or stone weight. These are pictures that were provided by the seller so apologies if it's missing an important angle for identification.

00W0W_bzFCFUePd6A_600x450.jpg

00606_3Exb4PbMV9o_600x450.jpg

01616_icc65XKZA1t_600x450.jpg

00505_2EuQ4BgtoLz_600x450.jpg

00303_aLhSMQIoSXq_600x450.jpg

00X0X_6bDMx3OuVKb_600x450.jpg

00g0g_3jRCqjok9Rt_600x450.jpg

Don't know on the rebound yet. It's a 2.5-3 hour drive, so trying to make a decision if it looks worthy of driving to check rebound and give a personal inspection. It was a barn find according to the seller.

After looking at more anvil ID pictures around the web, I'm wondering if this is actually a Trenton. I found pictures of Trenton that had the solid wrought written on them in what looks like about the same spot as this one. The numbering looked similar too. Comparing to some Peter Wright pictures it looks like the solid wrought is higher on those? And the Peter Wright pictures I have found have the number higher with the middle number inside the solid wrought words. That isn't the case with this one.

What is the asking price is all it matters ... it's the right size for a first anvil and the rough surface will soon look polished when you use it. Certainly not a new anvil nor ideal, but if it is cheap enough ... your call

Hmm alright sounding like maybe a pass. Asking price is $250 (USD). Cheaper than everything else I'm finding in the area, but maybe not cheap enough to be worth it if the face appears to be unfavorable. I guess I'll hammer on my railroad track a little longer and continue the hunt. 

You can always make an anvil block for the hardy hole, for when you need a really smooth surface for fine finishing. Otherwise, planishing blows at low heat will yield a surprisingly acceptable finish for most applications.