I Forge Iron

A couple of antiques?

My wife and I were out today in northern Indiana today and stopped by a few antique stores for some browsing and I saw these two old blacksmithed items in the same booth. They were cheap - $3 each - so I picked them up. I am confident the spatula is old and would have paid more for it. Anyone have an idea when this pattern went out of style? I'd like to think it could be Colonial. I have no clue to what the second item is. Anyone have an idea? The elements are nicely forge welded together in the center. I think this item is old but for some reason it doesn't "feel" as old as the spatula. What do you think?

Spatula cropped.JPG

thingamabob cropped.JPG

I was just given this suggestion by Kelly Kring on my state blacksmithing site.

"These are very stylistically Pennsylvania Dutch ironwork pieces. Both most likely late 1700's-early 1800's. The fork is a meat fork. It's believed to be used for cooking meat by the hearth and the scrolls allowed it to be laid across a trivet or some other fire tool that propped up the fork end out of the coals. The loop was to hang it from a nail next to the hearth when not in use."

I found these two images on Google Pictures. Both being described as roasting forks. Similar enough to mine i think I'll go with that unless better information comes in. Roasting fork sound better that pot trellis! 

19th-Century-Forged-Iron-hearth tool --- not mine.jpg

similar example to thingamabob.jpg

On January 6, 2017 at 8:55 AM, C-1ToolSteel said:

Interesting. That's proof enough for me. Wonder how much it's worth...

I start at what it would take a competent smith to replicate ($150-$300, depending on construction), add on historical significance ($150), Lbs of wrought iron (WI sells from $2.50 to $6.00 Per lb).

Now can you get someone to pay $400 to $500 for it?

Makes buying a 100lb post vise for $100 a little easier. 

On 1/5/2017 at 6:45 PM, SmoothBore said:

All the pot I've ever seen, had a good stout stem.

No trellis needed.  :huh:

Goes a long way to explain your Avatar. Separate the stems and seeds. Where'd you go to school?

Frosty The Lucky.

plant stands.jpg