I Forge Iron

It isn't pretty

Boo68W

I started with 1/2 rebar and had no real plan in mind. I'm brand new to this and I mainly wanted to learn what not to do. In the end I came up with a coffe cup holder inspired by a phone call from girlfriend about the lack of room on her desk. IMG_3768.PNG

Some times you just gatta bash some steel, and if you come out of it with something useful all the better.

When I need to just bash some steel and don't have a plan I usually just make leaf keychains. It's one of those automatic things for me now. 

Not bad Boo. The hook needs to be opened a little more or the cup will knock loose too easily. It could also use a vigorous wire brushing while hot to remove the scale. Scale is hard enough to scratch even ceramic glazes and just a scratch is enough to start a crack and that turn into a break. 

My biggest criticism though is about it as a cup holder, it's not going to hold much coffee that way you know. Your subject had me hoping for something that clipped or clamped to the side of the desk and held her coffee cup out of the way of work. Kids these days. <sigh>

It's a good first effort and it's always a good idea to put a smile on SWMBO's face.

Frosty The Lucky.

The idea is for when she's done with the cup it can hang off of her shelf out of site. As far as the scale goes I keep forgetting about the wire brush until it's to late. 

Here's a better picture of its final resting place

IMG_3769.JPG

13 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Nice try! Probably 1/2 rebar wasn't your best choice of material. It's hard work! But the hook works well and that's the main thing.

Yeah I realized after the third swing but I was committed lol. Plus I had it kicking around and never use it so if I completely ruined it I wouldn't be heart broken. 

3 hours ago, Boo68W said:

As far as the scale goes I keep forgetting about the wire brush until it's to late. 

It's never too late!  I keep a wire wheel on my 6" craftsman bench grinder and use it all the time to remove scale from finished work.  The thing is a lifesaver and it really improves the look of the piece.

On something like that hook, it'd be short work to clean it up on the grinder and then hit it with some black paint and clear coat like Torbjorn does in his videos.  It'll look good and fit in with the office environment.

4 hours ago, Daswulf said:

When I need to just bash some steel and don't have a plan I usually just make leaf keychains. It's one of those automatic things for me now. 

I totally agree. I like to have a little "warm up" project to start my day with. Whether that's a nail, or more often its something like a leaf key chain, just something that can be made in well under 10 minutes. Gives the fire some time to reach its full heat, and gets the day started well for me.

Littleblacksmith

49 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

I totally agree. I like to have a little "warm up" project to start my day with. Whether that's a nail, or more often its something like a leaf key chain, just something that can be made in well under 10 minutes. Gives the fire some time to reach its full heat, and gets the day started well for me.

Littleblacksmith

I did that a little today for the first time and it really helped. I sent some time this afternoon drawing up some small things that I should be able to accomplish with my limited knowledge. 

Now this is something many women would like to have. Not for coffe cups but for handbags. There is always the problem of where to hang the bag when taking a break at a coffe shop or a restaurant. X-mas present!!  I will just have time to do a couple for the family females. Cheers I am off!!

• 2 weeks later...

On a different note, where the piece meets the desk could cause scratches on the surface of the shelf.
I would suggest a pad of some sort, maybe a small piece of that rubber cupboard mesh used to protect plates, cut to size and stuck on the hook.
You'd want it grip well but not be noticeable. (It would even make the hook more secure)

Just a thought...