I Forge Iron

New forge

Shadygrove

The hearth is awfully deep for a general purpose forge.  I bought one for a project and it's about 2.5"-3" deep, which is a bit of a heat sink.  If you're welding damascus for hours on end, that might be okay.  Otherwise, it's a bit expensive.  It's an otherwise okay design, although I'd pile up bricks at the end to cut down the heat loss.

You should have no metal inside the forge, it will just burn away.  Fire Brick is a heat sink, therefore effecting the efficiency of the forge.

Check out the attachments at the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.  If you want to be doing forge welding pay particular attention to the Ribbon Burner attachment.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome aboard Shadygrove, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance. 

If you've been an Iforge subscriber any length of time you probably already know what Mike or I would do for a propane forge. We build our forges pretty much from the ground up. Building your own forge isn't that hard and no, you don't need to have a welder or special tools but you DO need some basic shop skills and tools.

There's nothing wrong with buying tools and equipment, in fact there is a lot to be said in favor of buying. Time spent building a forge and other equipment might  be more valuable to you practicing blacksmithing, especially if you lack some of the handier shop tools.

The forge you linked us to isn't really much but probably fair for the price but it's pretty limited in what it CAN do. The design is only ok and the construction is mostly obsolete where fire management is concerned. It has a nice shell and the burners look ok.

making your own is not hard if you follow one of the designs on IFI and for the cost of that forge you could make a better one including buying all the tools you need to do it.

the forge is good for a ready made one.

people I would recommend on here include frosty, mikey and wayne coe, all of them  ( and more ) know a lot about gas forges,

here are 2 questions for frosty....

if you had all the tools to make a simple T burner forge what would the cost in materials be?

if you had to buy the minimum tools to do it as well what would the cost be?

• 1 month later...

Welcome aboard Sharpe, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

Have you Googled propane forge makers? What do you consider a great quality forge? How much can you afford? How good a blacksmith are you? 

I'd like to suggest you take a class or two, learn basic blacksmithing and basic bladesmithing. With a little experience you'll have an idea of what YOU need. As it sits we can't answer your question, we have less idea what you need than you do. I'm not blowing you off but without knowing what you need how can we answer your question? 

There are a LOT of high quality forges out there, take a look around and get back for opinions about specifics.

Frosty The Lucky.