I Forge Iron

Spider web hot pot holder

CTBlades

Yup. Honestly if Frosty hadn't mentioned it I would have used the angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. And the bolt cutters were quicker! That's the great thing about this site and the great people here. I don't think a day goes by that I don't learn something. Or get reminded of something I'd forgotten about. 

18 hours ago, Daswulf said:

This one was a bit of a pain. Once I got my acetylene tank filled I ran out of oxygen lol so I had to toss this guy in the forge to bend his legs. 

That happened to me with a praying mantis I made. Bending fine legs in the forge is not really the best way. It's hard to isolate the heat to a very small area to make a sharp bend, especially when the legs are attached to the body and in awkward positions. That's where the oxy torch is the go!

I think you are probably like me and a bit impatient. You want to get the thing finished rather than wait until the oxy bottle can be replenished. Patience is a virtue!

9 hours ago, ausfire said:

That happened to me with a praying mantis I made. Bending fine legs in the forge is not really the best way. It's hard to isolate the heat to a very small area to make a sharp bend, especially when the legs are attached to the body and in awkward positions. That's where the oxy torch is the go!

I think you are probably like me and a bit impatient. You want to get the thing finished rather than wait until the oxy bottle can be replenished. Patience is a virtue!

That it can be!  Yes this one I wasn't waiting so into the forge the spider went. The legs would have bent way easier and better with OA torch. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

19 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I've taken a couple of fire brick and laid them across the top of the coal fire with a slot between then to isolate heat for some delicate tweaking.

That is one of the best things about a solid fuel forge, you can shape the fire as you need even to the point of building a furnace enclosure over the fire for heat treat or really large stock.

Frosty The Lucky.