I Forge Iron

2 YEAR OLD COFFEE TABLE

duckcreekforge

I was inspired by a table on Pinterest. I thought "Hey I could do that". I had access to no. 100 chain, that I welded into a rectangle. The base was from a machine. The vertical was from a Bobcat bucket cylinder. I gathered parts and pieces and laid them in the rectangle on the concrete. When I was satisfied, I welded it all up. Mine has openings between the pieces, that gives it more 3D, because it is see through. It is one of my favorite creations. I tried for variety of textures and patterns, hope you like it.

20150324_110343.jpg

Not yet, it should, it sets on the front porch. One recommendation: Make them a standard size. 28" wide costs more than 24" to cover. It is level, you weld them "pretty" side down on the concrete floor. Coated with clear. A lot of people thought it would sell easily. They eat up a lot of loose pieces to create. It was fun and got a lot of comments: recycled art, repurposed, etc.

Wow! What a great idea to use chain for the border! You have a great variety of stuff in there. As you say, it's a good way of using up a lot of scrap pieces. I have some of that big chain too, so my next one may be something similar. I'm thinking I'll make the chain in an irregular shape though. In that way it might mould itself around some of the pieces. The base looks a little small but I guess the weight makes it stable enough. You wouldn't want it to tip on someone's toe!

Has anyone criticised you for using a 'perfectly good wrench'? I get that at times. :)

The two year old coffee comment made me laugh, John. Thanks for the comments. They carry weight with me after seeing the work you guys do. I already threw in the disclaimer about being inspired by something I saw. Feel free to use anything inspiring that you see. I understand both sides of the "perfectly good wrench" comments, being a tiny bit artistic and 99% mechanic for a living. The first scrap metal table, I saw, resonated with me so hard I knew I had to make one. Keep up the good work.