I Forge Iron

arts and crafts gates

Joel OF

I've been working on some arts and crafts stained glass style gates and yesterday I had a dummy run install to check they're 100% before they go off for zinc flame spray & a green vinyl top coat chosen by the client. The client requested a small design change so the final design was just a smidge different to what I originally pitched, for some reason my original drawing won't upload so I can't post that. They're the 2nd pair of back garden gates I've done this year for clients who wanted leafy gates to keep the dogs out of certain areas of the garden - hooray for dogs. Needless to say these pictures were taken from the "back side", I didn't make them back to front.
Nearly everyting was cold formed, I rolled the 40 x 12mm top curve and the 40 x 10mm lower curves. The roses and leaf stems where all cold bent but the leaves and the 40 x 6mm hinge eyes I did hot. Here's a video on the leaves... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA7CiBSJk3U

Stained-glass-gates-2ab.jpg

Install-001a.jpg

Install-002a.jpg

Those are really great (grate?), but I do have one small detail critique:

Charles Rennie Mackintosh, the originator of this A&C-style rose, didn't use the kind of curves that you've created with the stalks in the two outermost panels on each side. You've used reverse curves to create a vase-like shape that swells through the base, narrows at the neck, and then flares out again. A much more Mackintosh-y version would be to have those curves be longer, with more of a slow sweep and with the concave side facing inward. Think of them as segments of a large oval; they'll create a greater sense of visual unity across the entire piece as well.

Cheers folks. Glad the vase like shape was recognized, that was the object of the exercise. I'm well and truely familiar with Mackintosh and am even planning a trip to the Willow Tea Rooms for my birthday so I can sit in his chairs, he is my hero. The variation off his style (into Victor Horta style art nouveau curves) was deliberate. My rose designs were also inspired by, not copied.