I Forge Iron

Peter Wright Anvil 1 2 12

Hello All! I just bought my first anvil and it's a Peter Wright 1 2 12. As I understand those numbers equate to 180lbs? I was curious if anyone out there knows an age range on this anvil. It says Peter Wright Patent Solid Wrought 1 2 12. I'm also curious to what the flute on the back end is for and the square holes in the base (not the hardy).

Thanks!

IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG

The first number is hundredweight (112 lbs), the second is quarter-hundredweight (28 lbs), and the third is pounds. Thus:

112 + (2 x 28) + 12 = 180

The square holes in the base are from the tools used to hold the anvil during its forging. 

44 minutes ago, matto said:

My thought is a die for sockets for tools that have a wood handle.

I had the same thought, but that's a strange place to put it. It's also strange that it cuts right across the hardy like that, which leads me to think that a previous owner may have modified the anvil to go with some special tooling, now lost.

The good news is that even though that groove cuts deep into the top steel plate of the anvil, it's in an area that doesn't get much use. It shouldn't interfere with most of your forging,  which will usually be on the main part of the face anyway. 

By the looks of the profile pic I'd guess that was worn in over years of use of a specific hardy tool or process. The curve on the bottom of the rear shelf shows it took a lot of hammering. Since that area isn't used as much in general I'd look at it as a feature for future shaping. Great size anvil too.