I Forge Iron

Finishing a knife and have a few questions.

You didn't give us enough information to answer the first question in a meaningful way.  If you'll take the time to read through some of the knife making sections of the forum you'll have a much better handle on things.  At the very least read through the first pinned topic at the link below and if you don't understand it all the first time read it again and then ask some questions.  We'll be glad to help you, but your questions are a lot like "What's the best car?"  It depends on the use and what's important to you (or the customer) in a lot of cases.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/69-heat-treating-knives-blades-etc/

10 hours ago, Blacksmith noob said:

That being said I was wondering what quenching oil do most of you use and what is a good/ workable handle material?

Well I currently use heated Canola oil, though I'd love to source some Parks 50 or equal.

A good workable handle material is wood (preferably a hardwood, but just about any wood will do);)

If you had taken the time for a fast look through this site, not only would he not needed to post this question, as its been answered many times, but he would perhaps posted it in the knife making section rather than forcing us to relocate it, slow down, take your time and welcome to IFI.

Thanks for the help to those that answered the question. Steve if you feel the need to post something rude on my thread atleast direct it to me don't use "he" use "you" . I didn't go looking for the answer because I didn't know where to go and i needed an answer. The question was obviously not rediculous because people politely and kindly answered it.

Mod note: If you have a question about knives, most likely that information will be in the knife section of the site. Heat treating could be in the knife section or the heat treating section. You may wish to read both so you do not miss any information that you might need.

I did answer in the pinned posts you were just to lazy to bother looking. There are a few pinned posts you ignored, and in fact you have ignored the entire knife making section, which is full of helpful posts, including warnings about not reading or researching before posting. If you pay this little attention in yor shop you can get seriously hurt, and that is a big reason I come down hard on this stuff.

You could have nicely referred me to your post " Hey this question was answered over there" no big deal you just felt like being an xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx. You actually had no need to post to the thread because my question was answered before you put your two cents in.

mod note: inappropriate language and name calling

12 hours ago, Blacksmith noob said:

You could have nicely referred me to your post "  You actually had no need to post to the thread because my question was answered before you put your two cents in.

Climb off your special person horsey. Nobody said anything rude to you even after you started trying telling folk how they SHOULD speak to you and calling names. If you can't tolerate being talked to like an adult you might try looking for a seat at the children's table and leave the adults alone. Then again your language just now is in GROSS violation (for folk too lazy to look up definitions gross in this context means "knowing and deliberate) of the site rules you of course read before agreeing to follow them. Right? So I'm sure you understand why you're probably being moderated now till you prove by behavior you can and will behave like an adult and not need it explained to you.

You don't need to ask any of these questions, they've been answered many times and no, nobody has answered your question directly in this thread. Every reply you refer to as helpful has been an example of YOU not asking a good enough question.

What possible good can it be if I tell you what oil I use to quench? I can guarantee you and I don't use the same steel, heat treat for the same purpose under the same conditions so what conceivable good can my methods be to you? However this is what I use. I bum the used fryer oil from the local supermarket's deli section when they change it. I leave a clean 5gl. plastic gerry can with my name and reason on a tag and stop by in a day or so so it isn't underfoot too long.

Does that help you? Oh, here is a tip that I highly recommend, ask for used oil from a doughnut shop, it smells better when you quench than old burritos, chicken, fish or(?) patties, egg rolls etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Blacksmith noob: Please slow down and listen to the advice others have given. Knife information is located in the knife section on this site. Heat treating is located in either the knife section or the heat treating section of the site. Pack a lunch and a cold drink and visit the sections of the site that are of interest to you. Many questions have been ask and many discussions have been archived there.  If you still have questions, please tell us what you have learned, tell or show us the problem you have encountered, and we will try to assist you. This way we can start at your experience level and not have to explain the workings of the world from a zero knowledge base. We want you to succeed, but you must help us so we can help you.

The knowledge you seek is here but you must respect those that have spent a life time and developed the skill and expertise you need. Ask politely and a world of information can be yours.

Noob...I'm like you I would have been offended at one time too. Keep in mind (Do as they suggest...Pack the lunch...read, read, read) when asking questions direct it straight to them and let them know they are the expert...for example... ask...What kind / type of oil do you guys use when quenching 4140 for blade making / utility knives and why? You'll get good knowledgeable results...These are a bunch of good dudes on this site...Their just kantankerous curmudgeons...And they take pride in it...lol