I Forge Iron

New Anvil, Need Help With Identification

I was fortunate enough to get this anvil yesterday after a bit of back and forth. I have been looking for another serviceable shop anvil to compliment my 141lb Peter Wright and my poor beat to nothing old English style anvil (and lets not kid ourselves, I'm always on the lookout for a good deal on a bigger anvil). 

This anvil came up on a general sale site site with photos showing its dimensions and nothing much else. At the time and after acquiring it I figured it for around 250lbs. It was initially a very good deal, but once they figured out they had priced it low they wrote and said they were going to adjust the price. I replied agreeing that they had undervalued it and let them know I was open to a change in price, and to please contact me once they had decided (this was all in the morning when I was still at home). After going to work in my shop all afternoon I had just given up hope when I got the call. They said the first $500 takes it home. At that price and $20 in gas I wasn't likely to loose money if I want to resell it so I agreed and two hours later had this thing back home.

As I mentioned it appears to be around 250lbs. It is mixed condition (more on that later), but has great rebound and is LOUD! from heel to nose (or horn if you prefer). There appears to be a little bit of sway, but the working surface only has a few marks and very light pitting. There are no dead spots on the face. Hardy hole is 1 1/4" and pritchel is crisp. Despite the good condition of the face-plate the body itself is quite beat with almost no readable markings left, just a bunch of punch marks and hammer marks. After taking a wire brush to the sides and clearing off a lot of paint (it seemed to have several layers of light blue and green paint very well adhered on the body) I was only able to make out a 7 and 3(?) stamped midway down one side.

I asked if the seller knew the history and he said he did not, that he had gotten it from a relative who was a farmer and had another one that was the same size so he was getting rid of this one. 

It's dimensions are a hair larger than 5x19" on the face, just over 31" long total, and just over a foot high. 

For now this guy is getting a new stump and going to work in the shop to see if I like it. 

Any help on identification would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4698.JPG

IMG_4721.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG

IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4726.JPG

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

The numbers on the side are probably weight stamp, 273 pounds.

Any closeup picture of the front foot under the horn?  If there was a serial number, that is where it would be.

Pictures after thorough cleaning with a wire cup wheel on an angle grinder may provide another hint or two....

Thank you all for the responses. I am learning more and more as I go along.

6 hours ago, John McPherson said:

I have never seen a Mousehole with square feet, always triangular. A better picture of the bottom would let us know if it was a Hay-Budden or not.

I have the anvil in my shop now so I do not have pictures on demand, but will take one when I have a chance (also this thing is heavy enough I was having trouble turning it on its side which is why there is just the tilt picture of the bottom). I did give the bottom a fairly close look and could not see any noticeable depression (besides the handling hole obviously).

16 hours ago, Jakesshop said:

Just a guess.... Maybe a late model Mousehole? I have one that could be this ones twin but at 150 pounds. Mine does have the serial number on the foot though.

I never would have looked at mousehole anvils for this one. I have come up with a few examples that are similar but am having a little trouble getting good info. I'll keep looking but any help would be greatly appreciated!

And lastly here is a picture of the collection now that it is (just barley) inside the shop!

downsized_1018061530.jpg