I Forge Iron

forging a leaf key fob presentation

So, it's 6:00, and I have a show to go to at 8:00 and couldn't really sleep, so I thought, why not get up? anyways, I'm in the 8th grade, and earlier in the week I had to give a 3 minute demonstration speech (mine was actually 4:17), and I decided to do mine over how to forge a leaf key fob. And wow, I understood that they wouldn't really know a whole lot about what I was talking about, but they really didn't know what I was talking about! and of course I got the question several times, if I had ever made a sword. One girl asked what else I make, and one of the things I told here, is that every now and then, Ill make a knife. She said that I was lying, and that its not possible to start with such a thick piece of steel and make it sharp. I tried explaining it, but she didn't understand, oh well. To aid with my presentation, I had a PowerPoint, and thought it may help some of ya'll out. There are no words on the slides, sorry, we weren't aloud. Hope this helps some of ya'll who may be just starting out, and looking for a simple-ish project!

not sure if this will work but here it is?

Blacksmithing-forging a leaf key fob.pptx

I soooo wish you had posted this a fortnight ago......I've made leaves before, not many and quite a while ago, so last week when I attempted, although I remembered how to do it, my hands seemed to have forgotten! I've put practicing leaves on my must do list. Your presentation is/will be usefull to me and many others I should think. Many thanks.

EVERYBODY should look at this!!!  Very nice presentation, hope you got an "A". The download worked fine. Many of us could/ should do something like this. Many of us have laptops, iPads, that could be used in classrooms, or many places where, "fire" is a bad word. Great Job.

Excellent presentation LB, excellent. My only suggestion and it's a minor one is to put the PPE talk at the top of the page. Let everybody know safety is job one.

Even when I was your age there were adults who thought meat came in packages, not walking around pastures eating grass. Ignorance can be cured but stupid is forever.

You do us all proud little Brother.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you so much everyone! I did get a 100 on it, and the teacher received a key fob also. may have helped with the grade a bit...;) the kids really seemed to enjoy it!

Thanks for the suggestion frosty, and Lou L!

Hey, like PVF AI said, we should all do this, I think it would be really neat, and VERY helpful to everyone if we did short and sweet slide shows on simple projects. It didn't take me long to do, and was actually kinda fun!

Just got back from my "living history fair". I didn't do a demonstration, I did ask them if I could, they said no. I guess they have something against 14 year olds playing with fire....anyways, I had tons of fun, got my name out there, got interviewed by the eagle (local newspaper) and they said that I will be in it. I got a few "commissions" not really sure if they will follow through with it though. Oh yeah, I made $629, the best I've done so far!!

Littleblacksmith

Well you know what, if you had told me 2 years ago that I would be at this skill level, I wouldn't believe you!

Littleblacksmith 

Nobody's born knowing this stuff it takes work. A little knowledge, time and a lot of practice is all any of us have in it. Get hooked up with the local blacksmithing organization, you'll learn more in a couple hours with an experienced smith than you will in days or weeks figuring it out yourself.

Frosty The Lucky.