I Forge Iron

Help identifying new anvil

When you're taking pics of iron and steel try lighting it an oblique angle, shallow from one side so the stampings are more clearly visible. You can rub it with chalk, charcoal, etc. and wipe the surface clean to enhance details as well.

A possible name is on the tip of my tongue but I'm not terribly good at IDing anvils. She looks to be a beauty from what I can see. Next time get some pics of the face too please, this edge looks pretty clean.

Frosty The Lucky.

The one with the Arm and Hammer raised logo is American. I don't know how they were made. The English anvils are cast iron with a steel top forge welded on. In the first photo with the cordless drill I can see the demarcation line between the iron body and steel top. Some of the English anvils were made of two castings for the base forge welded at the waist but that one doesn't show a weld line around the waist section so it looks to be a one piece base with forge welded top. Did I mention the top looks great? No saddle or other serious wear. I can see one lifting hole in the front under the horn. I'm guessing there is another in the back under the heel and possibly a third on the bottom. It looks to be a classic London pattern, 19th century but I'm not familiar with the brand. How's the rebound?

PS    What is that widget in the pritchel hole? I've never seen tooling used in the pritchel

The English anvils are not cast iron they are forged wrought iron with a steel face plate.   Vulcan anvils and arm and hammer are different companies.  Arm and hammer are forged anvils and a better quality than Vulcans.  Vulcan was tring to mimic fisher.  They are a cast iron anvil with a steel face plate.

6 hours ago, TwistedCustoms said:

That's a great looking top, Congrats and happy forging! I've seen lots of Vulcan Arm and Hammer anvils but never a Vulcan marked Sheffield. Maybe someone will have more info. It's marked in hundred weight and looks a lot like a mousehole but clearly it's a Vulcan. Got me curious now......

Why do you say "clearly it's a Vulcan"? From what I thought Vulcans, like the one in the background from one of those pictures up there are cast iron. Sheffields from what I know could come from a couple different origins but some were made by mousehole which are forged wrought. According to postman the best way to tell if it is a mouse hole or not. There should be a pointed ridge from the back leading to the front of the horn on the underside. I don't have my anvil book on me to do some more digging. Vulcans are definitely American cast iron anvils. Vulcan and Sheffield or mouse hole are 2 totally different style anvils. Correct me if I'm mistaken but this is what I thought. 

Given that Vulcan was the Roman God of Fire and therefore very closely associated with Smithing, coupled with the fact that anvil making has been going for much longer than trademark registration (which only started in the 1870s), it would seem somewhat presumptious to suppose that there could only ever have been a single anvil manufacturer associated with the name.

There was an Ebenezer Burdekin, anvil maker, at Vulcan Works, South Street, Sheffield in 1828.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Ebenezer_Burdekin

I can almost see Vulcan Works in the lettering on the side.

Mousehole Forge did have other dealers strike thru their name, and rebrand them, but this does not seem to have had this done. Also, the bottom of the horn does not have the pronounced ship's keel shape so common in Mousehole products.

14 hours ago, Benjaman said:

Why do you say "clearly it's a Vulcan"? From what I thought Vulcans, like the one in the background from one of those pictures up there are cast iron. Sheffields from what I know could come from a couple different origins but some were made by mousehole which are forged wrought. According to postman the best way to tell if it is a mouse hole or not. There should be a pointed ridge from the back leading to the front of the horn on the underside. I don't have my anvil book on me to do some more digging. Vulcans are definitely American cast iron anvils. Vulcan and Sheffield or mouse hole are 2 totally different style anvils. Correct me if I'm mistaken but this is what I thought. 

In the first photo it looks like the stamp says "Vulcan -----(maybe Norris for the second word?) And Sheffield underneath. I have seen Fisher Norris, I have seen an anvil marked Vulcan with the Arm and Hammer logo, but never with the word Sheffield. The Sheffield makes me assume it's English.

20 hours ago, matto said:

The English anvils are not cast iron they are forged wrought iron with a steel face plate.   Vulcan anvils and arm and hammer are different companies.  Arm and hammer are forged anvils and a better quality than Vulcans.  Vulcan was tring to mimic fisher.  They are a cast iron anvil with a steel face plate.

Forged wrought, not cast... Thanks matto! I have two Mouseholes and always thought they were cast bases. That's why I love this site!

10 hours ago, John McPherson said:

I can almost see Vulcan Works in the lettering on the side.

Mousehole Forge did have other dealers strike thru their name, and rebrand them, but this does not seem to have had this done. Also, the bottom of the horn does not have the pronounced ship's keel shape so common in Mousehole products.

Looking at the stamp in the first and second photo I think it is Vulcan "Works" When I first zoomed in on it I wrongly thought it might say Vulcan "Norris" Blame it on old eyes!