I Forge Iron

Early review of the 2.75 Ibs Japanese Forging hammer

Clover Saint

Hello all, I recently purchased and received the 2.75 pound japanese hammer, made by Arnon at Bridgetown Forge. And I have to say that it is quite amazing. The way it moves and feels in the hand is very nice (for me that is). And being someone who has long, thin fingers, the hammer fits well. As far as finish goes, it is a very rustic looking piece. Which I quite appreciate. Something I'd like to point out is that the pictures don't do the tool 100% justice. You really have to feel it for yourself to get an understanding of the tool. I'd like to close by leaving you guys with some pictures of this amazing hammer!

1474143811601926875011.jpg

1474143900983-938942815.jpg

14741440543272146957489.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

"Japanese" Hammers arent really Japanese per-say. That kinda gotthrown around 10 or 15 years ago by us Bladesmiths who were doing Japanese influenced work at Don Foggs. Dogleg and Sawyers hammers are same thing. Weight forward and in your case a pretty rounded face is going to move alot of steel as will any rounding hammer. Good digs, watch your forearm

Just like any other, more conventional, type of hammer a weight forward hammer can be used for any number of operations, depending on your skill level, its size, weight, face configuration...  The one pictured appears to have a pretty aggressive rounded face and should be great for moving material.  I've seen weight forward hammers well up to 10 LBS of head weight that were used for anything from striking to solo slitting and drifting of hammer eyes.  Of course with a more flattened face they also do very well at final clean up of a beveled knife edge.

Nice hammer, going to have to put that on my list to copy.  The one weight forward hammer I made to date has a face that is more optimized for finish work.

Put a piece of wood sheeting on the anvil face then hit it with the hammer. Look at the divots to see if the anvil needs adjusted. Full discussions of the divots have been discussed on the site several times already. 

11 hours ago, Rmartin2 said:

Does your anvil height need to be adjusted to use this type of hammer?

In a sense, yes it will be a bit different. I'll post pics of my anvil or anvils once they are setup. Though yes, since it is a forward striking face my anvil will be a slight bit lower. Just in order to give me an affective blow to the material. I'll probably have a true japanese style anvil setup with the anvil in concrete. And from there I have a big block of mild steel that will be made hopefully into a striking anvil.

On 08/10/2016 at 2:16 AM, Latticino said:

Just like any other, more conventional, type of hammer a weight forward hammer can be used for any number of operations, depending on your skill level, its size, weight, face configuration...  The one pictured appears to have a pretty aggressive rounded face and should be great for moving material.  I've seen weight forward hammers well up to 10 LBS of head weight that were used for anything from striking to solo slitting and drifting of hammer eyes.  Of course with a more flattened face they also do very well at final clean up of a beveled knife edge.

Nice hammer, going to have to put that on my list to copy.  The one weight forward hammer I made to date has a face that is more optimized for finish work.

So a rounded face better for moving material whilst a flat face is for bevelling?

Ive been told with hammer faces that I need to dress the edges so it doesn't make dints and mar up the workpiece 

cheers

• 1 month later...

Part of the gig for Japanese smiths using them for bladesmithing is the Japanese anvil and all their forging is down low to the ground on one knee and or fully sitting.  I have seen the strikers use large dog legs while standing up but the anvil top was still only maybe 8 inches from the ground.
 Before I started and completed my blacksmith apprenticeship I had been bladesmithing for a couple years and to thought a dogleg hammer was a bladesmithing only thing.  The Blacksmith I later apprenticed under was a fellow with well over 200 hammers of various ages and styles and I quickly was schooled on what a dogleg hammer was in the west and that is isnt a cultural thing but a tool of necessity.
Though I myself have many hammers, I have the need for each one and find myself making more of them as a different need arrives.  I still am a blade smith though and though I have several dogleg hammers I havent found a use for forging blades on English anvils at "normal" anvil heights, though I know other bladesmiths that think they are keen.

Funny thing about traditional smithing and tools, of the 7 recognized and license blade smiths in Japan, one of the two I visited used a ball peen hammer exclusively, go figure

On 10/8/2016 at 8:34 PM, Gorō said:

So a rounded face better for moving material whilst a flat face is for bevelling?

Ive been told with hammer faces that I need to dress the edges so it doesn't make dints and mar up the workpiece 

cheers

Get some silly putty and make a round impression and then a flat impression. This will be the start of figuring out how steel moves. Round moves in a 360 degree and flat does so but less aggressively BASICALLY. the kicker is, turn your wrist a bit and use the EDGE of a flat face and it can become very aggressive. Hammers dont have to be used in a single plane and yes smooth is best so there are no xxxxxx xxxxxx.

This is a very beautiful hammer and obviously the style is used with great success by many smiths - not only in Japan. Personally I feel that it somehow would feel awkward but that is my idiosyncrasy.

I am back to the question of balance again. If the Hofi hammer is so great because the distribution of weight in reference to the hammer, this hammer should be useless but is obviously not - at least not in the right hands.

Comments please

The Hofi/Habermann/Czech style hammer is one tool suitable for a wide range of ornamental work without constantly having to change hammers. Just by adjusting your grip up and down the length of the handle, and turning the head orientation, it allows you to accomplish a number of tasks in one heat, all in a seamless flow.

There are other hammers that try to fulfill multiple purposes in one piece: the standard engineers and ballpeen designs, farriers rounding hammers and cats head hammers come to mind.

In all of the examples above, the striking surfaces are almost equidistant from the center of the eye, and the handle is shaped so that it can be turned easily in the hand.

The other end of the spectrum is the specialized tool market. The dog head design allows excellent repeatability of blows, which makes it perfect for flattening billets, setting bevels, cutting files, etc. The handles are usually 'cranked' or otherwise shaped to orient the hand to the striking face.