I Forge Iron

Maple and Steel serving tray

HEAP of JEEP

I don't do a whole lot wood working these days, but I made a small end table for someone a few years back, and they just commissioned me to make a large serving tray for them.  Since balcksmithing is my current chosen hobby, I couldn't let it go out the door without doing some kind of forging to it.  I wanted to do a bunch of textured steel accents on the corners, but our agreed upon price just wasn't enough to put that much time in to it, so just went with the handles.  A simple basket twist that I shaped in to the handles. 

My wife loved them so much that she has now added a project to the honey-do list.  All new basket twist drawer pulls for her dresser.

Oh well, at least I have anther excuse to spend more time at the forge. LOL

As for the tray, I used some local Michigan Brown Maple and then made the handles from an old garage door spring that I picked up from the scrap yard a while ago.

I do still love to work with wood, so it was pretty cool being able to meld two of my hobbies together for this one.

serving tray 024.jpgserving tray 025.jpgserving tray 030.jpgserving tray 032.jpgserving tray 035.jpgserving tray 039.jpgserving tray 044.jpg

1 hour ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Looks good Heap. But I do agree about the screws, use a nice round head, or even some square head screws. Those appear to be sheetrock screws...and they do cheapen the overall look. 

I did buy some small lag screws, removed the zinc, and squared the heads to use for it, but no matter what I tried, they kept coming out crooked and I could figure out a way to get them straight.  I only played around with a half dozen or so before i got frustrated and gave up, but I agree, they would have made it look a lot better.

51 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Those are really neat handles, Heap. Four lengths of 6mm round bar?? Forge welded and squared on the ends? And what finish?

However you did it, very nice work.

Not sure on the original size of the round bar.  It was a garage door spring that I straighten out hunks of when I need small round stock.  But yes, that is the general technique that I used.  As for the finish, I just wire brushed them on the grinder and the used a few coats of rattle can polyurethane on them.  I've read that the poly doesn't hold up well to outdoor applications, but this is going to more of decorative piece for their house, so I'm hoping it holds up well enough for whatever light use the handles will actually get.  I like the matte finish I get with the poly better than the lacquer I usually use on my jewelry pieces.

On 9/6/2016 at 6:35 PM, HEAP of JEEP said:

I did buy some small lag screws, removed the zinc, and squared the heads to use for it, but no matter what I tried, they kept coming out crooked and I could figure out a way to get them straight.  I only played around with a half dozen or so before i got frustrated and gave up, but I agree, they would have made it look a lot better.

Trying to square up tiny screws can be tough.  Twenty years ago I had access to an old hardware by work.  You had to blow the dust from the bins just to see what was in there.  Lots of NOS fasteners.  Unfortunately the owner passed away & the kids didn't want it.

Prior to the DG's dresser, look at blacksmithbolt.  They even have some old time brass hardware to set off a black oiled finish.

An alternative is not to square the heads but to use machine thread bolts and bang them on the top so they are rivet head shaped or very low six sided "pyramides" . Then of course you countersink at the bottom and use a nut. An added boon is that they are stronger than screws are.

Very nice looking handles. Will try something similar one day.