I Forge Iron

Greenlee chisel repair

This chisel has been hung on the wall in the wood shop for years.  First, I had Nothing! to do with getting it in this shape.  It will never be sold or repurposed.  Question is can it be repaired.  The socket is mushroomed out and in.  It's not particularly old as greenlee didn't move to Rockford IL and make hand tools until 1927 but I'd like to put a handle in it if the socket is repairable.

Papy

image.jpg

image.jpg

That hurts to see. Some people shouldn't be allowed to handle a tool more demanding than a broom and dust pan. :angry:

I'd look around with an eye for a point that fits the socket, I'd check my bull pin first but keep looking if it doesn't. I'd maybe forge a pic iron as faster and easier than hunting.

Then I'd heat it up and forge it back to shape. Clean is shiny on the outside, wrap the cracks in mild steel and forge weld it. Lastly draw it down to a nice uniform shape and finish it.

If you're careful you can work the socket end without running the temper out of the blade.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd be tempted to just forge it over a bull pin, as Frosty has suggested, and leave the split sections unwelded.  A brass or bronze wire wrap around that area would look pretty classy and there would be less chance of a catastrophic heating trying for a forge weld.  Of course that all depends on how good you are at forge welding.  Kind of tricky there as it isn't certain whether the socket is mild of high carbon steel and, as I'm sure you know, the former welds at a higher temperature.

Thanks Gentlemen 

I have forge welded but not saying I'm good at it.  Never even thought about a wire wrap but then that's why I posted.  I don't have use for a 2" chisel very often but sure look better on the wall with a handle.

I'll find a tapered pin and give it a try

Thanks

Papy

Lee Valley tools sells a wire wrapping tool called a "clamptite". It is specifically designed to, among other functions, tightly wrap thin steel wire about a broken (or partially broken), hammer handle. I have used it for temporary repairs before fashioning a new permanent handle The temporary fix works fine too. You could substitute your own choice of wire, if you so desire. For example copper wire to create a handsome fashionable color contrast for the tool.

SLAG.

Edited by SLAG
added subsequent idea

5 hours ago, SLAG said:

Lee Valley tools sells a wire wrapping tool called a "clamptite". It is specifically designed to, among other functions, tightly wrap thin steel wire about a broken (or partially broken), hammer handle. I have used it for temporary repairs before fashioning a new permanent handle The temporary fix works fine too. You could substitute your own choice of wire, if you so desire. For example copper wire to create a handsome fashionable color contrast for the tool.

SLAG.

That's a cool lookin tool. I just check out the company page and they have a video showing how to use it that make me think, 'I can make one of those.' So next time I'm in the shop, if time allows, I'm gonna see if I can actually make one. :) 

7 hours ago, 51 Papy said:

Thanks Gentlemen 

I have forge welded but not saying I'm good at it.  Never even thought about a wire wrap but then that's why I posted.  I don't have use for a 2" chisel very often but sure look better on the wall with a handle.

I'll find a tapered pin and give it a try

Thanks

Papy

Glad to help. Please post photo of repair when done.

That is a cool tool.  Latticino I'll post a pic when it's done.  Forge time is limited as my last daughter is getting married in less than a month. 

I take it that there are no pitfalls other than burning it up that I need to watch for?  

Thanks for the help

Papy

I change my thoughts and vote for wire wrapping. Brazing to fix it in place would look snazzy too.

Does the "Clamptite" work like a Yankee screw driver? If so I've seen them used to safety wire nuts and such especially on aircraft. Very handy tool.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 8/19/2016 at 6:33 PM, Frosty said:

That hurts to see. Some people shouldn't be allowed to handle a tool more demanding than a broom and dust pan. :angry:

Frosty The Lucky.

Conditions like this are why I refuse to let production folks use our tool fab shop unsupervised, even though the majority are company property.

May I make a sign with your quote?