I Forge Iron

2.75Lb Cross Peen

NickOHH

Had a random day off of work so decided to not let the heat and humidify defeat me and lit the forge this morning.  2.75Lbs of 4140, cross peen, differential heat treat to straw.  Its far from perfect, the eye is a little crooked but its not to bad so it should still swing just fine, cant wait to try it out now.  

StraightpeenNorth.jpg

straitpeen.jpg

Straitpeenwarm.jpg

Looks pretty good Nick. In what way is the eye crooked? If it's only a bit you can trim the handle to correct for it before installing it.

You have made your own tools before haven't you? If not get ready for a tool that feels better than any store bought tool you've ever used. Nothing beats using tools you've made with your own hands.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning, Nick

If the eye is a little off-center, that is it's "Serial Number". Only the builder is that critical to see it.

Tom Clark (Bless his soul), taught me to keep the Handle Hole in center, by drilling 3 - 1/4" pilot holes for the first punch. Dead simple and effective. No more off-center Handles that you correct by making the Handle to compensate.

Is that WRONG????  Nahh, that is the way, i intended it to be!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the Journey. Punch the weight and the date on the inside, closer to the handle. In 10 years, you will Thank Me!! When was that............?

Neil

the eye is a bit off center on the bottom, comes out in the center uptop.  it was worse at the beginning, corrected it some forging , its still there, but i am just being critical of my work. i will have to try using the pilot holes on the next the one, which will be VERY soon.  

Swedefiddle

I'm thinking that the 1/4" holes go dead center where the handle goes through the head from one face end to the other?  Holes as close together as you can get them.  I have not tried this yet but it's on the list.

Papy

No, the pilot holes don't go face to pein. The center one is dead center where you want the center line of the handle, the other two define the ends of the eye. The punch will follow the path of least resistance, the pilot holes.

I prefer Brian Brazeal type slitter punches they'll follow the center pilot or if you have practice you don't need a pilot. They tend to go straight as they work, a pilot is cheap insurance.

Frosty The Lucky.

I use a similar eye punch I made . It drives pretty straight, I got off to a bad start, twisted it before I had it buried and drove it deeper than I would have liked . I will take my time more on the next and make sure I'm straight before I start smashing it :blink:

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

a pilot is cheap insurance.

Frosty The Lucky.

Amen.

If it contributes to the quality of the end product, ... then it's not really "insurance", ... it's more like a "necessity".  B)

In my opinion, ... it's the enhanced quality of custom made tools, that separates them from mass produced items.

Good Morning,

Frosty is Correct. 3 holes, one on center, each other hole 3/8" from center = 3/4" apart. Through the part of the Hammer where the Handle is going to go. I guess if you want the handle from the Face to the Pien, that would be YOUR DECISION!!! I can't believe that needs clarification!!

Lay-out from two sides, take your time with your square. Center is center. If you layout off center, guess what . . .

Neil

what was the length and diameter of stock you used?

Littleblacksmith

3 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

what was the length and diameter of stock you used?

Littleblacksmith

It was just over 4 1/4 inches of 1 3/4 inch round 4140. Squared it up a bit with round edges before punching the eye.

6 hours ago, Stash said:

How did you get a day off, you slacker? What's that sound I hear? Is it grass growing? Git back out there.
 Nice work there, Bud. Nice fat pein, good size. Izzat your main hammer now?

Steve

It was easy! I just had to break all the equipment lol truck in the shop and a mower acting up, but I feel like I may have worked just as hard!