I Forge Iron

A Teepee?

Yes, If I recall correctly Jack Andrews used a Tee Pee for his smithy and had a lot of good to say about it. It's in one of his books. It might be someone else but the book was as much about setting up a good working shop in a small footprint as much as beginning steps learning blacksmithing.

If you know how to use it a circular shop is darned efficient.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

That's Bogdan Popov.  Not sure what his handle is here on IFI, but he's a member and quite skilled.  His anvil and stand are pretty brilliant.

Here's a link to an article he posted over on the Bladesmiths Forum where he makes a traditional axe and talks about his equipment.  http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=25866

I've been wanting to get one of his hammers for some time.

• 5 weeks later...

I knew a guy who forged in a teepee back in the 80's and 90's..  The winters got to much for him so he moved into a regular shop. he made his own clothes, shoes, hats..   He was an excellent knife maker including swords and such as well.. Charlie Lappen Brilliant guy.. 

He also used Anthracite coal to forge with.. His forge looked like a small wheelbarrow lined with cement and salt.. Made some really nice stuff..  He used a 5" bench grinder for finishing all his blades..  Really just amazing.. 

• 2 months later...