I Forge Iron

rebar hammers

treytheknifeguy

the one in the pics is decorative although you could probably use it for breaking stuff

as for me forging with my rebar sledgehammer i cant forge at home at the moment because i live in a unit and cant light it because of the smoke

and i cant do it in the driveway because its a shared driveway

who needs a press when you have mjolnir

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes shared genes are common. My area is full of my cousins 4th 5th 6th and beyond. The oldest ancestor, of whom I own an artefact, lived five miles from here in 1738.

I am now reading a book(Swedish I am afraid) that discusses genetics history and movements. Miticondrial genes of Native American type have been found on Iceland. Obviously at least one woman followed the vikings back from America.

8 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

Have I overlooked the pictures showing the rebar hammer?

i dont own a camera i used the schools one for the pics i posted

and my phone wont connect to computers for some reason

i probably should have taken pics before i took it home because it was hard enough taking it on the train once

Nice art project.  As a forging hammer I'd take a 2 lb. Harbor Freight drilling hammer or 3 lb. crosspeen with a wooden handle, 32 oz. ball peen or even a decent carpenter's framing hammer over that any day.  Not completely sure where you got the idea that solid steel rod makes a good forging hammer handle.

Perhaps you have put this in the wrong section of the forum and it belongs in the "Metal Sculpture" section.  If so I think the second version that you have a photo of is headed more in the direction of the comic book version of the Mjolnir, if that is what you are after. 

As far as phone camera tech, some older phones need to be put into USB sharing mode (and the photos typically come up in a windows folder titled DCIM)

I'm no mountain of a man at 6'1" 155 lbs but I do have an ungodly strength to me. Years of logging and pulling engine blocks without a cherry picker will do that to you. I can personally pull a 350 block from a 76 scottsdale k10 by wrapping my leather belt around the back wrapping my hands in the belt and dead lifting it out "front grill and radiator removed of course" but forging things with a 4.5 lb hammer gets a little heavy after a while. One hand swinging a 30 lb. Hammer on a 18" handle even choked up on it seems a little far fetched to say the least to me. I don't mean to be rude on this subject but I feel some exaggerations are being placed here I have some 30 mm rebar I was gonna use to make a hammer by upsetting it a ton to add some weight and I was going for a 5 lb head once some high carbon steel was forge welded into the faces and to do this would take about a foot and a half of it at least your talking you would be needing 4 two foot long pieces of rebar for your hammer to even come close to the given weight. I just don't see how any of that is feasibly possible.

i think its 30 pound it is probably 20 pound

after looking at my hammer i think it isnt as big as i first thought it is more like the size of a 20 pound

as for swinging it one handed i can do it but it aint the most comfy on me shoulders im pretty sure the bar was 30mm but it could be bigger as i didnt measure it i just guessed from looking at it

i didnt buy it i found it during roadside pickup it was just laying in the grass