I Forge Iron

First File Knife

HEAP of JEEP

Might be kind of a step backwards from my other knives, but I never tried one before.  So, took the rest of the file from the last herb chopper I made for my show, and whipped this out.  It was kind of fun, and got it done fast enough to sell at a pretty reasonable price at the show.  Might have to whip out a few more.

file knife 004.jpgfile knife 006.jpgfile knife 011.jpgfile knife 013.jpg

I once made a knife similar to this and the handle, I hardened the back side of it and so you could then use it also as a flint and steel, though you got to be sure to temper the transition of the blade to the handle and only harden the backside.

Littleblacksmith

I actually really love this style of knife, both the handle and the rasp or file knives. I know they are usually unknown steel and dont hold up as well as damascus or similar blades but i really just dig the way they look . Congrats on another great knife project.

Pattern welded Damascus has NOTHING to do with how bladeworthy the steel may be; you can have a damascus billet with extremely low carbon content that can't be hardened but has a lovely pattern, say 1002 and pure nickel  for instance.  Wootz damascus, (you didn't say which you were referring to), has a bit more constraint on content to get the carbides to produce the pattern; but it can be too brittle as well.

20 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Pattern welded Damascus has NOTHING to do with how bladeworthy the steel may be; you can have a damascus billet with extremely low carbon content that can't be hardened but has a lovely pattern, say 1002 and pure nickel  for instance.  Wootz damascus, (you didn't say which you were referring to), has a bit more constraint on content to get the carbides to produce the pattern; but it can be too brittle as well.

You are totally correct, i was simply referring to his past projects which have primarily been pattern welded blades. I also didnt want to say known high carbon blades because it sounded wrong i mean technically his file could preform better than say a blade from O1.