I Forge Iron

Finally found a new to me vise

Scobb

Found this vise about 20 miles from home. Went and checked it out. Screw box is in good shape with a minor chip on the end. Functions well all original spring and bolt plate. The one thing that I think is not original is the thrust washer. This is my first one so I'm no expert. Seems to work okay the way it is but I think I'm going going to make a new thrust washer.....eventually. I did have to do some tweaking on the spring to get it to work properly. Yet another piece of yard art saved.  I have no idea the brand so if anyone knows that would be awesome too. The jaws are 5" and I'd guess she weighs about 65-70#

Sam

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Any wear on the screw?  I've seen large washers used to shift the wear point on a well used screw to a fresh area.  (also the one recently shown where a replacement screw/screwbox needed to be spaced out so the handle missed the projection right above it.)

There is some damage to the screw the last thread (farthest from the handle) is broke off. 

Other than that the threads look to be in great condition. It was filled with grease so it got a aggressive cleaning and I touched it up with some penetrating oil. 

2 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

cant help on brand but if it works use it. 

You should really discipline your bench vise. It's leg biting could be jealousy of your new post vise. 

Haha. Somewhat ironic a vise holding a vise. But that sucker is to heavy to be flopping around everywhere lol. 

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Looks VERY different to me as your vise has beveled legs at that ad vise does not!

And that my friend is exactly why I come here. Touché  

When I was longer I kept buying larger vises and they were often Columbians with the plain legs as I'm cheap and they often go for less. Last vise I bought had a beveled leg to add a bit of purty in the shop...still only US$40 at Quad-State a couple of years ago...and robustus  leg was 1.25" diameter at the thin part.

Frank; just to learn more about vices: I see that the screw/screwbox look similar, does your PW vise(s) have non beveled legs?  Most of the ones I could ascribe to the UK have had beveled legs.  (and all the "loose parts" on vices tend to travel around in my experience---I've done it myself taking a screwbox or mounting plate from a trashed vise and putting it on a good one that needed them.)

2 hours ago, Frank Turley said:

I have three Peter Wright vises, and yours has the same appearance. The mounting plate is also similar and someone has said that it has the look of a sting ray.

I did some more looking around last night and I believe it is a Peter wright also. Made me a happy camper since it matches my anvil. Although I paid a bit more than 40$ haha. Not as good at Thomas'  technique as he is! 

The only markings I could find were remnants of a serial number stamped onto the spring. 

Not really *needing* any more of something really seems to help keep the prices you pay down.  Especially when you are always on the "hunt" and so the number of hits increases until you get "lucky".  

I hope that when I die there is not an estate sale; but rather a feeding frenzy amongst the grandkids, (or hopefully even great grandkids); but if not, the stuff should bring in a good price...

Thomas et al., The Pater Wright vises I have encountered all had the "sting ray," lozenge shaped mounting plates. I saw many PW's in Australia. Interestingly, most PW vises exported to Australia and Canada had very slight chamfering on the four corners of each leg. The deeper chamfered vises came to the U.S. I visited England at one time, not really looking for shops or vises. I ran across one large PW vise mounted outdoors in a yard. It had the slightly chamfered legs. I don't have a clue as to the difference in the chamfering depth, unless it had to do with the period of time of manufacture

I've taken apart a few PW vises for cleaning, and some of the boxes have a numeral stamped on them. The box is removed to see the numeral.

You can sometimes make out small stamped lettering on the movable jaw of a PW vise. It goes like this:

P. WRIGHT

PATENT

SOLID BOX

Most often it is gone via rust and wear.