I Forge Iron

Hello to all!

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I figured I would go ahead and introduce myself to everyone here and say hi. I'm a beginning backyard hobbyist in Madison, AL, and have been making noise and fire scale for a few months now, but have always been fascinated by the craft. I have taken two classes in Athens through the Athens State Center for Lifelong Learning (beginning blacksmithing and blacksmith project) and had a blast.

Welcome to the addiction! Lots of good info and good folks on this site. If you ever get over to Ole Miss check out the Ms Ag and Forestry Museum in Jackson. The Ms forge council meets there the third Sat of every month at 9am. Its a cool old smithy reconstructed from another site in Ms and is now part of the living history museum. There are eight forges, anvils, post vises etc., basically eight full work stations in the smithy so plenty of room to get in the fire if you decide to come down.

I am currently using a 4 inch round of mild steel about 7 inches long or so that is set into a 7 inch thick layer of cured sweetgum wood set on a large oak stump. Its not anywhere near the best of the most efficient, but its better than nothing and it came for free from work, so that's a plus. I have been eyeballing the Fort Vause London pattern anvils (the 80lb 4140 version) and some of the farrier style anvils based on price, since I haven't seen a whole lot in this area in my price range ($300-$400ish max). I have actually been to the Athens meeting location before, but never seem to be able to keep my days straight as to when meetings are and what's what, and the websites aren't super helpful and updated regularly.

I suggest you email Travis and ask, he is a good guy!

http://www.athensforge.com/index.html

Before you spend any $$ if you want to try it I have a chunk of rail road rail that you can stand on one end. it is (I think) about 11" of 85# rail but it will need to angle grinder work done. This would be at no cost since you are trying to pick up the hobby. All I ask is when you are done with it give it to the next person. 

Hi Thomas, Athens Forge will meet next on  Sat. July 23 at 10 AM. We will be making anvil tools for the AFC tool box to be auctioned off at Tannehill in Sept.

Meeting will be at the same location of the Athens State classes. Hope you, and anyone else who wants to come can make it.

Contact me if you have any questions.

Stacking lumber under your anvils isn't a terribly good stand no matter how well attached they are. Using the one with holes in it is an excellent way to keep them put. A good stand is 4"x4"s on end bolted or screwed together running straight to the ground. I'd keep the tree round they're excellent for straightening work without damaging the texture, blunting edges, etc. like can happen on the anvil. An end grain wood block and wooden mallet is so handy you'll never know what you did without them. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

The 2x12s under the block of sweet gum weren't planned... I didn't plan properly and the striking surface was too low, and not level, either, so I made do as best I could to get it up to the right height. Once I get something a little more anvilish I intend to build a stand out of lumber and use the stump as a dishing block and workable/rest area for tools. The sweetgum block is 3 planks stacked together but it's drilled and bolted together with 5 lag bolts so it's fairly solid.

Making do is a significant part of blacksmithing, everybody's next build is better than the last. ;) Those are nice field expedient anvils, there isn't much you can't do on them. forging 3/4" and up is probably getting out of range.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thomas, 

If you go to the intersection of Holmes and Pulaski Pike next the the Parkway underpass you should be able to get a stump of most any size. I got a 28"ish by 24" wide oak log for my nephew for about $5.00. If you catch them when they have a great big tree that has not been split you should be able to get something custom cut. These seem to be nice guys that respond well to please, thank you and cash.   

I've seen that place, but I didn't know they did custom cuts on logs. My plan is to ultimately build a stand out of either 4x4s or 6x6s once i get something more anvilish to mount on it. I also need to to build a stand to mount a bench vice on to do basic twists and file work and such, as I do not have a post vice... I had thought about a multifunctional stand/work table that I can put the vice on and use for work, but as I am just in the backyard now with no shop, I haven't fully worked it out yet. 

Custom may be stretching it, more like if they have a tree and you ask real nice (with cash) I bet they will cut to your requested size. Just like anything it is all in how you ask the question. I started with "I need a real big log to mount an anvil on" so he would know what I was looking for.

I gotcha... I've got access to several good sized logs, just no way to trim them to size and shape, so I'm making due with my large oak logs for now and will go the lumber route for a more permanent setup. Even though the stump is visually more appealing/traditional/stereotypical, the lumber seems to be more functional for what I would ultimately be doing, and then I can use the stumps as dish swages...

Well, I'm in a different location and set up; but I told my students for my class tonight to bring everything they think they could need:  Food, Drink, favorite tools, stock, etc.  Don't expect the host to have to provide sunblock or mosquito repellent cause you needed them and didn't!

Last week it was about 107 degF and nobody showed up with drinks but me.  As they watched me sipping my lightly chilled gatorade and water, they had to drink out of the hose...I end up teaching more than blacksmithing to the young adults...

May want to take a non-refrigerated lunch and some snacks. Long days of learning and you can get hungry and not know it.

It is always nice to leave some extra metal behind. Alley scraps do nicely as the next person can figure out how to use it. Brake drums, rotors, old bed rails, or most anything metal. It does not have to be straight as they can straighten it out.

Always take photos, videos, and lots fo notes. (grin) They become real important after you get back home.