I Forge Iron

New Forge: General Questions

Andy98

36 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I don't know how it got started but a lot of people are drilling and tapping the T to receive the flare end of fittings. The ID of 1/8" MPT accepts a 1/4x28 tap as well.

It's not that something that works is wrong, I just don't know how it got turned around backwards.

In my case, it was the only fitting I could find with a small enough ID. The plumbing store didn't have sched 80 in 1/8", so I took my drill bit (and tap) and found something that I could tap. I can't say why others are doing it.

On 7/24/2016 at 3:40 PM, Frosty said:

It's not that something that works is wrong, I just don't know how it got turned around backwards. Youtube instead of asking me maybe?

That was actually the first thing I noticed in the picture, I knew I'd see something from you on this Frosty, your plans are very straight forward to follow, and the sketch you made of the T and jet clearly shows the flare on the outside for connection fittings. If it works I guess, but I personally intend on following your plans....to the T.....(bad I know, but I couldn't help myself):D

One of the guys the club here turned the fitting around backwards and he has the same suppliers I do. If it works it works, I only get curmudgeonly when people get simple things wrong then want help getting wrong to work for them.

Viking: do you know what you're getting started "T"ing off on a pun thread around me? I NEVER apologize for puns the only bad pun is one that has to be explained to a worthy player. <_<

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Well some folks would need help as they don't know the background of Forestry the Snowman...

HAH, salt encrusted one! I gaze upon you with a well rooted coal expression. <_<

Frosty The Lucky.

(I thought they had removed the roods for use in your bier!)  Having just loaded and unloaded my travelling teaching set up I am well encrusted but hope the well water will bear it hence to the briny depths; please to offer preyers for my steptic system!

I'm surprised to be getting the gears on the flare fitting. I'm happy to replace it with 1/8MPT per this post or hunt the province for requisite schd 80 1/8 nipple if what I have is even potentially a problem.

I didn't realize I was doing something so controversial but I didn't do it because I am incapable of reading instructions or following plans. I did comment in this post that there seemed to be a lot of variation in the fittings, and the advice I was given was take a drill bit and find something that would work.

I've read just about every burner build post I could find and I've seen all manner of fittings go into builds with the builds getting complimented, and nobody saying that the exact fitting used to hold the mig tip will matter much, or that they need to go back and swap it out. I've even read old posts commenting how the fittings parts list shouldn't even publishable because people need to just find something that works.

It seems to be difficult waters to navigate.

40 minutes ago, Andy98 said:

I'm surprised to be getting the gears on the flare fitting. I'm happy to replace it with 1/8MPT per this post or hunt the province for requisite schd 80 1/8 nipple if what I have is even potentially a problem.

I didn't realize I was doing something so controversial but I didn't do it because I am incapable of reading instructions or following plans. I did comment in this post that there seemed to be a lot of variation in the fittings, and the advice I was given was take a drill bit and find something that would work.

I've read just about every burner build post I could find and I've seen all manner of fittings go into builds with the builds getting complimented, and nobody saying that the exact fitting used to hold the mig tip will matter much, or that they need to go back and swap it out. I've even read old posts commenting how the fittings parts list shouldn't even publishable because people need to just find something that works.

It seems to be difficult waters to navigate.

Okay, that explains it. You're reading too many plans and builds on the web. The way I put the things together isn't the ONLY way to do it. Heck it might be fun if Mike and I had the chance to see who could build the most that worked in say a weekend. I think Seattle would be the town to hold that silly competition, better supplies and resources. I wonder what I could find at Boeing surplus for jet and rocket engine alloys.

Anyway, just pick one set of plans and follow it, reading about what someone else gets to work will only confuse you till you get a good handle on the things.

Frosty The Lucky.

Anyway, yes there are I don't know how many different ways to plumb the gas to the burner

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

A guy goes and starts calling himself Dr. Frankenburner and look what happens; people think he's only interested in burners. Good thing I didn't call myself  Dr. Fire Bricks; that would have really tied me down :P

What would it say about folk who invited you to a pool party or scuba diving? :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.

4 minutes ago, Mikey98118 said:

I like humor; doesn't seem to have been enough of it around here lately. Thanks Frosty.

You're not following the right threads then Mike, there is a heck of a fish pun thread going under a completely unrelated subject.

Okay, you keep the Frankenburner moniker and I'll just hang out as Tinkerburner?

Frosty The Lucky.

55 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

If he's Frank; I assumed you'd be Riff-Raff...

I may BE riff raff but I thought Tinkerburner was more fitting. 'Sokay though a nick should be pinned on by friends rather than coined by the wearer.

Searched Frosty T and BOY are there a lot of Frosty T shirts out there! Heck, I have a few, mostly from the near neighbor Chad Carpenter of "Tundra" comics fame.

Frosty The Lucky.