I Forge Iron

Riddles and Puzzles

jayco

talk about being led by the nose! Mutiplying 9 by 2-9 always results in a 2 digit number that add together to equal 9. 2x9=18 1+8=9 3x9=27 2+7=9 so step 4 could be simplified to "subtract 4 from 9". ;) next when you peruse list of countries with D as the first letter there aren't many and Denmark is the most recognizable so the percentage is in favor of you choosing that. Orange is the only color that starts with O.

Did I win the prize?

This one's good, but I'm sure everyone's heard it.

Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return.
On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to split among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person. Now each person paid $10 and got back $1.
So they paid $9 each, totaling $27. The bellboy has $2, totaling $29.
What happened to the other dollar?

Hold something with lettering in front of a mirror, and look at it. Turn the page 90 degrees (sideways) and look again.

Why do mirrors seem to flip things left-right but not up-down?

I thought about standing on my head with a card in my hand; facing a mirror, to test the 'up-down' part of this question.........but that would be silly.........and there aren't any pictures to prove I did!

The best answer I can come up with is that:
Mirrors don't really reverse any image.
It is we who reverse the image when we turn it toward the mirror.
So maybe.......we trick ourselves.........

I even began to theorize that if I were to face away from the mirror......and use another mirror to view the image in the first mirror.........the card would read correctly from left to right.

At this point, I began to get a headache.................

I'm stumped!

Here's my favorite arithmetic problem. What is the total of all the number from 1 to 100?

S = 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + 100

or pairing the numbers,

S = (1+100) + (2+99) + (3+98) + ... + (50+51)

so that each pair adds to 101, so

S = 50x101 = 5050

This is Fredrick Gauss' solution to the problem after 5 minutes thought, when he was 8 years old. The teacher gave the class this problem because they were too noisy.

Here's another one........I think I saw a version of this riddle in a Charles McRaven book. I'm not sure..........

An old 'penny pincher' brought 5 sections of chain( 3 links in each section),and wanted the blacksmith to weld all the sections together to form one chain.
The blacksmith didn't have any stock to make any extra links.......and the penny pincher didn't want to pay for extra links anyway, so it was decided the smith would cut and reweld some of the existing links to make the chain.

The smith charged 50 cents for each cut & weld...........so how much did the old penny pincher have to pay?

Posted earlier but it still might catch a new-bee

"Ring on a post in a smithy
I read this years ago in A blacksmithing primer by randy mcdaniel.

A Ring was attached, 6' above the ground, to a post in the door way of a smithy. Below the ring was written the words:

toti
emul
esto

what was the purpose for the ring "

the answer is on another sting on Iforgeiron. Use the search at the top of the page and enter "toti"

I'll leave the "toti" puzzle for someone else because I already know it. But I'll admit that the first time I came across it, it had me stumped for a few days before I finally relented and googled the answer.

But back to our friends the penny pincher and the blacksmith. The old miser comes in to the smithy again, this time with a piece of silver chain seven links long.

He says "I've got a feller doing a week's work for me and I have to pay him one link of this chain every day. If I don't give him a link at the end of each day, he won't work the next day. If I give him more than I owe him, he'll abscond with more links than he has earned."

"Now, I know you got the better of me on that last chain deal, so I'm giving you exactly what you need to cut up this chain so I can pay him daily. I know you don't need to cut every link, so here's $1.50"

So the blacksmith smiled, knowing that once again he had got the better end of the deal. He did the cutting and handed the links back to the old scrooge saying "This is exactly what you need to pay him one link every day."

What did the blacksmith cut and how did that solve the problem?

• 2 weeks later...
I'll leave the "toti" puzzle for someone else because I already know it. But I'll admit that the first time I came across it, it had me stumped for a few days before I finally relented and googled the answer.

But back to our friends the penny pincher and the blacksmith. The old miser comes in to the smithy again, this time with a piece of silver chain seven links long.

He says "I've got a feller doing a week's work for me and I have to pay him one link of this chain every day. If I don't give him a link at the end of each day, he won't work the next day. If I give him more than I owe him, he'll abscond with more links than he has earned."

"Now, I know you got the better of me on that last chain deal, so I'm giving you exactly what you need to cut up this chain so I can pay him daily. I know you don't need to cut every link, so here's $1.50"

So the blacksmith smiled, knowing that once again he had got the better end of the deal. He did the cutting and handed the links back to the old scrooge saying "This is exactly what you need to pay him one link every day."

What did the blacksmith cut and how did that solve the problem?

Since I like this thread, I'll answer and bring it back up.

The smith cuts one link. The third link specifically giving the miser the pieces which comprise of 1 cut link, a 2 link chain and a 4 link chain. For the first day the worker gets the cut link. On the second day the worker gets the 2 link chain and the miser takes back the cut link. The next day the worker gets the cut link again for a total of 3 links. The miser takes the 3 total links and leaves the worker with the four link chain the following day. On day five the miser gives the worker the cut link again. On day six the cut link is traded for the 2 link chain. And finally on day seven the cut link is once again given to the worker.

So what is the next puzzle?

ron

pun intended

Can you do it?
You have a cylindrical can of the sort that baked beans are sold in. You want to fill it exactly one quarter full of water but you have no measuring instrument and the can is not graduated in any way (though you can scratch it yourself if you wish).
How should you proceed

a cylindrical can

Place a wire into the can, and mark on the wire the depth of the can. Remove the wire and and divide the depth distance into half, then half again, (1/4 depth). Place the wire into the can and fill to the 1/4 depth mark. It would be only as accurate as the volume of the wire, say a drop or so of water in error.

If wire is not allowed, use the paper label from the can.

This will not work seeing that the wire has a density of something that will show up with the level of the water. plus, some water may stick to the wire.

What you do is: take a piece of wire and cut to the length of the inside of the can. Bend and cut the wire in half to make 1/2. Then, bend and cut the 1/2 piece of wire in half again making 1/4. Put wire inside of the can and mark it all the way around the can. This will be the 1/4 mark and cut the top 3/4 of the can off and fill to the brim. :D

Try this: draw a rectangular box on a piece of paper 4 inches tall by 6 inches long. Then, draw a line across the center of the box splitting the height in half (2 inches on top and 2 inches on the bottom). Next, split the bottom half into half vertically to make 2 boxes in the bottom half ONLY (making 3 inches on the left and 3 inches on the right). Lastly, split the top half vertically to make 3 boxes (making each box 2 inches long). Now, draw a continuous line that goes through every side of every box (inside and out) WITHOUT going through the same side twice and connect the line..... Those are the only rules. Can you do it?? If so, lets see.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...