I Forge Iron

Stay cool

natenaaron

I was "that kid" you know the one who took everything apart to see how it worked? Fortunantly my mother was "that mother" you know, the one who had you convinced of the fact that sense she brought you into this world, she would happily take you out of it...

didnt mater if it took 50 tries I dang sure got it back together and usualy working. Dad was near as bad, but he made sure only to take the broken stuff apart ;-). I have cleaned up relays, painted the back of radio circlet boards with clear nail polish after some one spilled a big gulp in it, retrieved more than one caset tape, found out that nail acrilic is the bomb for reenforcing those super glue dash plastic repairs cleaned up tail light bulb bases, repinned broken terminals in wire harness connectors ext. not many parts of a car I haven't taken apart after some fool let out the factory smoke to see what makes it tick, even tried replacing blown transisters in an old GM ECM that some fool probed with a hot test light. Just the stress of dealing with costomers, or service writers (with out comiting homiside) just didn't jive with my brand of crazy.    

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I was just to thorough and creative taking stuff apart, nobody could get it working again. I'm surprised my folks let me live. My talent is running machinery to the max with minimum wear and tear. Fixing it not so.

Frosty The Lucky.

When I was young slot car tracks were popular.  Use one of those erasers on the contact points and leave your buddies in the dust, until they figured it out.

A long block in an oldsmobile Alero?  I don't think that is possible.  This is where boat and car motors differ and I start scratching my head.  No FWD on a boat so not sideways facing motors.  Here is what it would look like under my hood if there were no problems.

Frosty, that is how I am with carburetors.  When I am done fixing them I need a new one.  When I took over the boat shop I was smart enough to hand carb work over to one of the guys.

oldsmobile-alero-engine-1.jpg

Staying cool in the car? I still haven't found the motivation to figure out why my "new" 98 Acura's heat won't turn off. I can turn the blower off but heat still radiates from the dash. Most likely a broken cable but I haven't been bothered enough to crawl under the dash yet and figure it out. By July maybe...:lol: if I don't die of heatstroke by then... :(

The Integra was somewhat famous for broken climate control cables. It's really a question of how much or little of the dash I have to remove to get to it! And a sticking brake caliper is coming between me and comfort. I'm on number two to replace now. The first was likely due to the previous owner compressing the rear piston with a pair of Channellocks thereby stripping the parking brake. Moving on to the front, I think it's likely due to the brake fluid having not been changed since 98. Brakes are marginally more important than comfort. I just wish it had been both rears as I already have pads for that. Grrrrr.

Ah yes, I remember in the later 70's having to stand in the snow during  what was working towards a blizzard in the Poconos while a friend crawled under his bug to tie the heater cable back together as the windshield was freezing over---on the inside and we couldn't see to drive.  Now in my old station wagon I always carried C rats, hurricane candles and an army surplus down sleeping bag just in case I got stranded on that stretch during the winter.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:12 PM, natenaaron said:

We just found out the transmission on the Van is going out so two cars down.  Time to start looking for a car.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to get up in the morning.

After 40 yrs. in the auto business as a new car dealer with a good repair department I've seen a lot of this type problem.  When asked by a customer when to stop dumping money into the old crate.  Usual reply was "Do you want to pay the bank each month or pay us?"  In our area at $100 an hr. on flat rate( which is another whole story) it amounts to $1000 a day if not a lot of parts which is unusual.  Figuring out the problem is 2/3's the cost, actual repair is the rest.  Even with  all of today's computer testing it's still 50% guess work with another large % of experience with that model vehicles as they all have built in problems.  What are the chances of finding a good mechanic that knows all models of all manufacturer slim to none! 

a 16 yr old Alero doesn't sound like a candidate for  a bunch of money infusion.  Call a Priest, call a tow truck, and go shopping for a different vehicle.  How much is your family worth to you, setting beside the road broke down with all sorts of people stopping could be a major problem for them in todays world.     

Just my 2 cents worth,  

We all had a pink eraser in our slot car boxes. A swipe of alcohol helped too. I wonder if my old slot car box is still in my parent's garage. Hmmmm, have to call my sister and find out.

We just replaced our '02 Saturn Vue. It was a trusty ride, always started but they don't make them anymore so parts are hard to find and expensive. We sold it while it was still worth something. Got a year old low mileage Dodge Journey, more bells and whistles than you can shake a computer at. It even has compartments in the floor behind the front seats each will hold 2 six packs and ice. No foolin built in ice coolers!

We replaced the old chev pickup in '12. I'm getting too old to try keeping old iron up and reliable in potentially deadly weather conditions. Let the young bucks get greasy I've been there done that, tired of it.

Frosty The Lucky.

The 50% rule still aplies, if it costs more than half the value of the car look for another one... 

Given the choice of paying my local mechanic or paying a banker and higher payments to an insurance company? I'll pay the mechanic. 

If you were down in Phoenix I would refer you to Glenn Ferris. He lives in Glendale (dose side work) and works over by Scottsdale air park. He is a good guy, better tech. Need your old road runner smoking it's tires or need to keep your lambo going? Yep, he has been there and fixed that.  

And the happy news just keeps coming (That's sarcasm) plus it is going to be even hotter next week than when I started this thread.

Our CHevy uplander has always had a problem with the rear going out of alignment.  How can the rear of a FWD car go out of alignment you ask?  It is not supposed to.  You have to have shims installed.  I assumed the shims would wear down over time because in the ten years we have owned the thing we have had this done at least 4 times.

This time shims won't work.  Have to get a new axel.  When I asked how come the shims won't work because they have before, I was told "This van has never had shims put in" BY THE GUY WHO HAS BEEN THE ONE CHARGING US FOR SHIMMING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would get banned if I used the words I used at that moment. 

My mechanic said trade it in.  I agree.  I haven't had a car payment for 9 years.  Its been nice.

P.S. my mechanic is not the alignment guy

2 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

I'm a big fan of letting some one else take the first hit form depreciation and new car warranty bugs, unless it's the first year of a major design change.  

I'm pushing for formally leased.  This way I know the dealer has kept it up and the mileage is just over when I feel the bug show themselves.

I am not good at making decisions. The bigger and more costly the decision, the longer it takes me to make it.  I'm a cheap skate at heart.

Momma gettin a new swagger wagon!  Dad is not.  Another mini van is what we will be getting.

90% rule, get the vehicle that will get the job done 90% of the time, then barrow or rent to fill the gap. I need a truck more than 1/2 the time but if push came to shuv a SUV and a trailer would do me, a motorcycle not so much. And don't fall in the gas mileage trap, 10-20,000 will buy a heck of a lot of fuel. 

Evaluate your needs, do you need a commuter vehicle (motorcycle or small two seat like smart car) a family car, what? 

90% rule, get the vehicle that will get the job done 90% of the time

I guessed we had a one way trip to the closest "city".  After several hours of browsing the interweb we called the dealer and set up an appointment with the salesman to view 4 cars they had on the lot.  This was one of those mega dealers who have several brands all under one name. We left at 6am our time for a meeting with them at 10 their time.  3 hours later, on the lot my guess was proved right.  In fact I did not think we were going to make it a few times.  Nothing like knowing you are stranded and HAVE to buy.  I did not tell the salesman that.  quickly narrowed the choice to two 2013 Toyota Sienna, and 2011 Yukon, test drove them, and went to lunch to discuss.

Came back and Sienna was sold.  We got the Yukon.  At the top end of our budget but met most of our needs.  I was pleasantly shocked by the gas mileage we got on the way home.  Granted it is a pretty flat drive but we still got 28 miles per gallon.

The boys registered their votes on which to get too 

vette red.JPG

Vette white.JPG

20 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Is that in St.George? That dealership looks familiar....

Yep.  Stephen Wade.  Good folks and I feel we got a good deal.  They had no problem with the boys hanging out in the cars while exploring them.  A few older gents would wonder over to the vets and my 10yr old would show them all the bells and whistles.  Gave the salesmen a good laugh.

19 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Yea, I might have sold both the boys and bought the vet...

but then again I raised girls...

I thank god every day, that I don't have girls.

Mine once told me years later that their highschool boyfriends were terrified of me....GOOD!  (Was it the book from the Medieval Criminal Justice Museum in Rothenburg ODT? The casual picking up of a 165# anvil and walking it over to the truck? The crossbows, cannons, swords,...?)

Oh, I know when the boys learned to fear me, it was yanking a 18h, 2200# Percheron stud off his feet infront of the house, fool thought he could push me around like all the other humans in his life... Had 4 boys on the porch when he starts acting the fool, none when I looked over after he learned to respect me. Word got around fast.