I Forge Iron

Stay cool

natenaaron

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

106 yesterday, 114 today and 118 tomorrow.  I have roofers working Saturday and Sunday.  I would like to tell them to stay home but the guys need the cash so I will let them decide what to do.  As always, we will do our best to keep them hydrated.

IMG_1793-3.JPG

Steve, no need for personal attacks, be nice.  Please note there is an Arizona Ice Tea in there.  The guys don't get any cerveza until they are off the roof and then it is well earned.  Last weekend I purchased 3 cases of gatorade and a couple cases of bottled water for them and they brought a couple cases of sodas.  With the exception of a few sodas it was all consumed.

I don't care what anyone says there is nothing like an ice cold one on a hot day.

Yep, they start showing up about 6:30 and don't waste any time getting going.  It is 20 gauge steel and I cringe when they cut it that early with the hand held two stoke concrete saw they are cutting it with.  They knock off about 3:30.  I would not fault them at all if they knock off at noon in this heat.  This is a side job for them as they do it all week for a company and they make a little extra to make ends meet working on the weekends on side jobs.  Great guys.  They have about 8 on the roof at any time.  On Memorial Day we BBQed burgers for the crew and the head guy promised to bring his wife's tomales tomorrow.  The roof is about 2/3 done and the remaining panels are stacked up in the driveway.  When you walk by them you can feel the heat radiating off them.  I don't envy them at all.

They started using a skilsaw with a diamond blade and an 8" angle grinder with the same but it was really slow.  They are used to working with 26 gauge not 20 gauge. Either way it is way loud.  I just got a call they are starting at 5:00 am but I got them to promise no power equipment until 6:30.  That plasma cutter sounds slick however they are rough cutting at the valleys and then doing the final cut by sliding a 2x4 under the panel to elevate it and then sawing it.  I am not sure I would want to use a plasma cutter making a cut like that with all the tar paper and other flamable material right there.

Charles, you used to live in the area so I bet you know right where we are.  We are up on the side of Camelback just below the castle.

On 6/3/2016 at 1:13 PM, LawnJockey said:

As always, we will do our best to keep them hydrated.

That right there tells me you've worked for a living. I can almost always tell whether or not someone has worked construction or some sort of outdoor job by whether or not they offer workers cool drinks and possibly some where like the garage out of the sun where they can sit and eat lunch/take a break. Things like that don't seem to occur to those who work in an office all day.

Every year when I take my forging class I always drag a 5 gallon Igloo cooler with water and ice with me daily for anyone who wants it. I know I'll personally go thru at least a gallon and a half of water even on a cool day. People who have never worked in hot environments don't realize how much liquids they need, and I almost never bring anything back at the end of the day unless it's what was left in the bottom that wouldn't come out unless you tipped the cooler. That's besides the small cooler of personal drinks like Gatorade that I bring for myself.

It was 117 when I went to refuel the propane for the forge.  It is 110 now.  But it is a dry heat...  I was working all day outside but under cover on the fly press.  The roofers worked until 2:00 and went through all three cases of Gatorade I purchased and a bunch of their own beverages too.  I stayed perfectly hydrated thanks to a cooler full of Becks.  It really wasn't that bad  I got my almost daily 31 mile bike ride done by 9:00 and it was 90 then.

Rehydrating myself as I just got back from driving from Roswell NM to La Union NM and the stretch from Tularosa to the Organ mountains is like a griddle---and no using the AC in the truck cause the temp gauge is malfunctioning and don't want to run the chance of blowing the engine in *that* terrain.

HW 70 cuts across the White Sands Test Range, White Sands National Monument and Holloman AFB; makes for some amusing road signs. I liked "Leaving White Sands Missile Range, Drive Carefully" though the two about adoption of the road were the best. One was "Adopted by 29th Attack Squadron"  I checked around for the sign that said "Do you feel lucky Littering Punk?" but I didn't see it.  The Other was an area adopted by an EOD group and I was wondering did they send a robot to go in and get the litter or did they just blow it in place?

Going over Apache pass at 7519'  was a nice cool break and I had no issues with the Mescaleros.

Might be time to get the temp gauge fixed. It's pretty a pretty simple circuit. Sender grounds one electromagnet in the gauge and the other is grounded to the dash ground. The two magnets fight over the needle, lol. So is it a sender, bad connection, bad wire, bad gauge or bad ground? No, I doubt a hammer will work...

*3* gauges are all going odd; they will generally start out OK and then at some point the Temp gauge, the charging gauge and the fuel gauge will go "bananacookies" (my wife's term...)  The fuel I just set the trip odometer and I know how many miles I can get on a tank. The charger I'm willing to risk as I would expect to see belt fragments The temp scares me the issue being I don't have the down time necessary for car repairs. Especially down here as my mechanic is 3 hours to the north. Many places you bring in a 1989 and they don't want to work on such an old car; however you find the right place and it's "Oh Boy a *new one!"

I would suspect the ground first rattle out of the box. As two of the three gauges have separate senders and the voltage guage simply has a wire from the charge side of the alternator. The common denominator would be the hot lead to the gauges or the ground. Depending. Are the dash light acting up as well?

Thomas, I am very familiar with your area, I have a little off the grid cabin outside of Magdalena.  It is my quail hunting place.  I had the same problem on my F250 Super Duty.  The temp gauge was definitely bad the problem was that it was part of the entire insturment cluster which was extremely expensive to rebuild.  What we did was purchase a stand alone gauge for a little over $20.00 and mounted it below the dash, easy to read and out of the way.

Good Morning, Thomas

Quite a few of the 'newer' vehicles have problems with cold solder joints on the circuit board. Three gauges acting funny would probably be a bad solder joint. Is there someone in your area that does electronic repairs? They can just redo the solder pins.

Neil

i had trouble for years with my rear light assemble on the Jeep, we accidentally discovered a bent pin in the harness connector was bent out of position causing the light to go out for extended periods, until it got warmer, thus expanding and making connection again allowing the lights to work again until it cooled...