I Forge Iron

Another newbie with an anvil

Apparently melting and casting metal wasn't enough for me so I also decided to dabble in smithing as well.  I recently acquired the following anvil and wanted to know if anything needs to be done with it or should I just use it as is.  This anvil has obviously seen lots of abuse with a cutting torch, not to mention it was welded together at some point.  Just looking for some help instead of rushing out and making things worse with inexperience.

image8_zpskxbsptq7.jpg

image4_zpspjgm41cj.jpg

image6_zpsnz3acy8l.jpg

image7_zpswt3zuaqj.jpg

image3_zpsonjpiepd.jpg

image1_zps4n6e7wka.jpg

Well it sort of depends on how you plan to use it....But Hay Budden, Brooklyn NY is a good brand.  If I were you I contact the local ABABA Affiliate and see if an anvil repair clinic was going to be held any time soon.  If you try it on your own follow Robb Gunter's method exactly!  Some brands of excellent anvils did an arc weld at the waist in their later years, (Not HB as I recall) so that doesn't bother me much.

For now I just plan on learning the absolute basics, not jumping off to be the next great smith to get my own reality show or such nonsense.  I'll start with some scrap and learn how to make proper tapers, scolls and such, no rush, this is a hobby after all.

it makes me cringe just looking at it.........dummys.

Littleblacksmith

DUMMYS?  REALLY? My TBI brain swimming. Trying my best to not to stoop. I could write a book on your comment. It would not be nice.

A wise person once said " if you don't have any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all ".

Sorry is a nice thing to say.  Also appropriate. 

I am sorry for going off topic. Smith on Mud, this a great place to ask questions. 

NoName, maybe I got it wrong, but I think littleblacksmith was referring to the person who put that anvil through such rough treatment...NOT calling Muddoc a dummy. That damage does not look recent. But maybe I'm just assuming too much.

Good luck with the Smithing Muddoc, even as beat as that anvil is, it will serve you well.

8 hours ago, NoName said:

DUMMYS?  REALLY? My TBI brain swimming

NoName,  I agree with DC you did a major jump to conclusions here as to whom the "Dummy" was here.

Good anvil  to begin with hope you didn't pay the Long Dollar for it but should help you  learn.  There are repair clinics around the country one was held in Mass. in Jan I just read a report on in the New England Blacksmiths Newsletter and they repaired some of the same problems you have.  But Mass is a long drive from OK as I've done it a number  of times.

yes I was referring to who ever damaged the anvil so badly. I'm sorry NoName for the mis-understanding.

Littleblacksmith

In some trades it seems that ALL tools are considered "consumables".  Look at the damage done to the bridge anvils used for reforging cable tool drilling bits in the old oilpatch, I've seen a bunch so far and the majority were beat to heck as getting the bit back down the hole was more important than a replaceable anvil.  (When down time can cost thousands of dollars an hour; how many hours does a new anvil "cost")

I have a 410# Trenton(?) that came from a Copper Mine in Arizona that had a beautiful flat face with air arc gouging canyons across it where the mine maintenance welders used it as a prop for heavy equipment repair. Paid about 50 cents a pound for it and finally got it to an anvil repair clinic and got it repaired properly, preheat, correct rod, etc...(Gunter method) It's my backup in case my large anvil ever needs time off.  If it had been perfect I would have never been able to buy it.

I'm currently talking with a member of the local ABANA affiliate and will be sending him some pictures as well as attending a local meet up.  Fortunately I paid less than $1/lb for this anvil.  I figured it wasn't a bad investment to start with and if it can be properly repaired I'll have it done.  If I continue to enjoy this hobby I will look at saving up for another anvil.  Tonight after work I plan on continuing building my forge and dressing my hammer, maybe by this weekend I can start learning some hammering basics.

Honestly, their is plenty of flat face and horn left. You can see where she has been forged on in the front. The horn should be soft and not a particular issue to weld (if they are experienced in welding wrought). I don't know for sure but I would be willing to bet some one in Saltfork can do the job.