I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Anvil Need Help?

waterlooboy2.5

Good day all. I'm new to the forum and come to you in need of help.

I recently acquired this blacksmith anvil and would like to know a bit more about it.

Can any of you confirm the manufacture? I do not see a makers mark anywhere. Vice is 39" long with a 3.5" wide vice.

Does anyone out there have a clue where I might find the missing bench mount part and spring?

Thank you all so very much.

Jim

a vice.jpg

b vice.jpg

Strange looking anvil ;) 

but on the post vise, you might be able to make the missing parts. If you put your location in there may be someone around you that could help. I have made replacement parts for vises I have. As far as finding original replacement parts for That vise that's pretty rare. 

Best I have "found" was a bolt down plate for a Colombian in a bucket of scrap I spotted and bought at an auction where the vise was welded to a huge welding table and wasn't worth trying to get as I didn't have tools to cut it free and couldn't haul the whole table. 

These vises were made by hundreds of small and large manufacturers. If no stamping can be found on it it's just a guess and a rather poor one at that since we don't know where in the world it was found at. I am not familiar with any of the makers in Belgium where Waterloo is for instance.  That looks to be a very elegant example of one though,  how wide are the jaws?

3 hours ago, arftist said:

I can cofirm it's manufacture...actually the pictures confirm it better

Nice vise.

Have a blacksmith make the missing parts.

You say you can confirm manufacture?

Thank you.

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

These vises were made by hundreds of small and large manufacturers. If no stamping can be found on it it's just a guess and a rather poor one at that since we don't know where in the world it was found at. I am not familiar with any of the makers in Belgium where Waterloo is for instance.  That looks to be a very elegant example of one though,  how wide are the jaws?

Location Sacramento CA, my handle waterlooboy205 pertains to one of my passions, hit miss engines..

Thank you.

It has somewhat the appearance of an English Peter Wright. Sometimes, you may find a numeral stamped on the straight portion of the screw box, when disassembled. That would be a tip that it's a Peter Wright. We suspect that they were inspector's numerals.

For what it's worth, ... A "spring tooth" harrow is a great "donor" for post vise springs.

Lacking that, new individual replacement teeth for "rock rakes", are readily available.

Sure, if you want to make it yourself from a suitable material, and fiddle with getting the temper right, ... you can do that too.