I Forge Iron

Value of A Vulcan 8

dunno age and value depends on where you are and what it's worth to YOU. if you feel you need or want it is different from of it's just interesting to you. will you use it? or stick it in a flower bed? best to accept that you wanted it and will use it and recoup your money invested after alot of practice and some work with it. :)

Good Morning, Ralph

It is old enough to have lived through a few GOOD Spankings, Old enough to be able to tell part of the Story.

Young enough to still come back for more A-Buse. Treat it kindly, it wants some Care!! It still will do more than a days work!!

Enjoy the McFriendship.

Neil

I consider Vulcans to be on the bottom tier of "real anvils" and so would not give more that a quatloo for it.

They are a non-ringing anvil and so that small size and quiet would be good for someone starting out in suburbia who has to move it in and out of a garage and doesn't want to annoy the neighbors. They are not one of the older brands of anvils and were sold till the 1970's IIRC

Really can't address the value without knowing if you are in Australia, the UK, South Africa, Canada, Chile, Hawaii, Alaska, Iceland, The Netherlands, etc on this WORLD WIDE WEB

Thanks for all of your comments and excellent suggestions. I am now armed with a wealth of information to go out and perform the tests, round the edges, carefully spank it and see if I can keep by MO neighbors awake by ringing late at night. It's definitely not going in the garden!

Sincerely, many thanks! Ralph

OK, I was pulling your leg as MO is the country code for Macau; but hardly anyone is fussy enough to add USA to their location.  As I work in a foreign country and live in the USA and work with people from several other countries I just have had it ground into me that not everyone lives in the USA...

You are so right Thomas. It is very annoying to find that US sites so oftenhide their location. It happens all the time. I want to purchase something and google for a possible supplier. If they are in the EU it is fine. No hasssle, cheap frights no duties. After carefully finding out the precise item I want, I find that they are in the US and I have to go searching again. 

Use it with the horn on the right, and don't worry about the bad edge which will be now be closest to you. The top plates are thin, so if you get grinding you will probably end up with a lot of cast iron exposed.  That may be a case for a 45° edge instead of a radius. 

As to value, it is currently what you paid for it. Personally I wouldn't go over $1 a pound for a Vulcan, and yes, I do have one. Mine is 150#, and came out of a closed high school metal shop.

As long as you realize the limitations of a Vulcan EG; thin top plates, possible casting flaws, chunky design..and work within them you will be fine.  Practice your hammer control with basic projects first so you hit the part more than the anvil face, and it will last you a good long time.

On 5/20/2016 at 0:01 PM, RcnelsonII said:

Thanks for all of your comments and excellent suggestions. I am now armed with a wealth of information to go out and perform the tests, round the edges, carefully spank it and see if I can keep by MO neighbors awake by ringing late at night. It's definitely not going in the garden!

Sincerely, many thanks! Ralph

Your anvil will never "ring".  Being a steel topped cast iron anvil, it will only thud.  Yes, the 8 indicates around an eighty pound anvil.