I Forge Iron

Tong Troubles

jtm1811

I have some bolt tongs for railroad spikes and square stock but they are only 5/8  and i use em for round sometimes, i was useing some tongs that i found our were fire tongs for flat but they arent to good for it, i wanna hold leaf springs and other flat stock. i was told some walf jaws would be good but flat would be better by lots of difernt ppl so idk

Charles,

One good favor deserves another

Try F.A.B.A's monthly Jnl. of April 1987. Page 6.shows a variation on the theme of Mr. Brazeal's universal tongs. They seem to have been designed by Mr. Francis Whitaker

There is a third very versatile tong design called a "three point tong" that was disclosed in their Jnl..Check their subject index. It originally appeared in an A.B.A.N.A. publication at the end of 1986.

I mention these references for your information and possible use. I am not playing a one up-man-ship game. I'm just trying to be of assistance 

I would have sent, this, in a personal message, to you, but I do not know how to do this yet.

Regards & thanks   SLAG.

I think it was supposed to be width "specific" and auto correct or typing faster than the speed of thought got posted instead. I often type faster than the speed of thought, it's like a super power you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 5/11/2016 at 11:33 PM, SLAG said:

Charles,

Try F.A.B.A's monthly Jnl. of April 1987. Page 6.shows a variation on the theme of Mr. Brazeal's universal tongs. They seem to have been designed by Mr. Francis Whitaker

There is a third very versatile tong design called a "three point tong" that was disclosed in their Jnl..Check their subject index. It originally appeared in an A.B.A.N.A. publication at the end of 1986.

I mention these references for your information and possible use. I am not playing a one up-man-ship game. I'm just trying to be of assistance 

I would have sent, this, in a personal message, to you, but I do not know how to do this yet.

Regards & thanks   SLAG.

Slag, if you sent it in a PM then the rest of us wouldn't know about it.

On 5/11/2016 at 11:33 PM, SLAG said:

Charles,

The direct link to that journal is here.