I Forge Iron

The Arabian Nights (mare)

JPH

Hello!!

Something else I whipped out on a whim from the annals of my twisted mind....

Solar Storm pattern in L-6 and 1070 steel..2" wide blade, full length fuller each side (curved fullers are just sooo much fun..yeah..right!)  14 3/4" long blade..double edged... Hand forged phosphor bronze guard (I am getting pretty good at hot working that stuff) the grip is Reebok horn (the critter not the shoe) . Overall length is 20"ish.  This is a LARGE knife.. The Reebok horn is magnificent to work and has a whole lot of character and lends a very stylish and rakish  look to this piece..even if'n I do says so meself.. 

This is website stock..still have to make the sheath for the beast....should be able to do that in the AM...already have the star sapphire cut... I say it came out alright for a whatyamaycallit from my dark imagination...

Hope the pics come out

JPH

DSC02777A.jpg

DSC02780A.jpg

DSC02781A.jpg

Beautiful overall!  The reebok horn is magnificent!  I do think the guard is overdone!  As a knife man I find those big guards get in my way!  I know that it's intended mostly for style... but IMHO you could do better!  Impressive work with the pattern and the graceful fuller!  

Another beautiful traipse through your twisty mind. How is the reebok horn in your hand? It looks a little ridgey to me for hard use. It probably wouldn't slip and I'd need to try it and see to say. Nice photos, you're getting the highlights under control I can see everything.

I don't know why you're making it sound like a curved fuller is hard to make, all my fullers are curvy. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty..the pics turned out better cause I didn't take them that's why!!!

As for the curved fuller..I bet if ya tried to make one that was curved on purpose it'd come out laser bean straight!!

Actually as knobby as the grip looks..it feels quite nice in the hand..the ridges on the back fill the palm quite comfortably and it sure doesn't slip...

JPH

10 minutes ago, JPH said:

Frosty..the pics turned out better cause I didn't take them that's why!!!

As for the curved fuller..I bet if ya tried to make one that was curved on purpose it'd come out laser bean straight!!

JPH

I KNEW you'd get the hang of getting good photos!

Is that any surprise? I've been tricking myself into getting things right for years.

I do have to say Laser Beans sound like a REALLY spicy chili recipe! "Daddy, why are those man's pants flashing like that?" "Don't stare son and stand up wind, farther upwind!"

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty..when I cook beans..I cook beans..they will either cure what ails ya or kill ya..either way..they do the job...

I was a bit concerned about the "overall" on this one..but everything worked out ,,,still it's a nasty bugger...I should of started on the sheath today but the War Department said she wanted slow  roasted shortribs for supper so that took precedence over sheathwork...still I managed to get a couple of the last Japanese siyas lacquered and the grips ready for wrapping while the ribs were smoking...and we had laser beans along with them thar ribs..pig on a plate..!!

JPH

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

I KNEW you'd get the hang of getting good photos!

Is that any surprise? I've been tricking myself into getting things right for years.

I do have to say Laser Beans sound like a REALLY spicy chili recipe! "Daddy, why are those man's pants flashing like that?" "Don't stare son and stand up wind, farther upwind!"

Frosty The Lucky.

That is just fantastic. Speaking of which I really like this blade. It is just a wild looking brute. The pattern is really nice and the handle is very cool looking. Very impressive work.

I used to make a mean pot of chili beans but SWMBO doesn't like things too spicy so now my chili is safe for most everybody. Mmmmm, smokey swine slipping from the bone and I made pizza and a salad.

Oh good golly, now I'm mixing hot chili and blades in my mind and coming up wondering how chili etching blades would work.

Frosty The Lucky.