I Forge Iron

Propane Forge, need advice

WyomingForger97

Im building a gas fuel/refractory forge in class and i wanted some advice on how much gas/in^3 i need...

specifics:

15"x27" 30 gallon drum, insulated 3.5" to form an 8" chamber

volumes:

drum--4771.17 cu.in.

chamber--1181.35 cu.in.

the refractory takes up 3590.05 cu.in. and i plan to have an insulated half-lid...

how much gas/air do i need in the chamber?

Blue-green

Or "your question is not answerable from the information you have given"   Some burners are rated for the amount of cubic inches they will heat to common forging temperatures.  The rate of gas consumption will depend a lot on the efficiency of the burners and what temps you are aiming for and how much stock goes in and out, etc and so on.

You are expecting to build way to large a forge, unless you have a specific reason to build one so large.

Check out the attachment on my website, www.WaynecoeArtistBlacksmith.com on the Forge Supplies page, Build a Gas Forge and Ribbon Burner.  These attachments will tell you how I like to build a forge.  For your burner you may want to study the Ribbon Burner attachment or on IFI search for the Frosty's T Burner.

Let me know if I can help you.

I'm glad you replied first Wayne you're much smoother than I am. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of pages archived in the gas forge section of Iforge that answer what you want to know. Unfortunately what you've asked isn't really possible to answer, certainly not in a meaningful way.

I HIGHLY recommend you start reading in the Gas Forge section of Iforge for a few reasons: First, Folk like Wayne and I have answered the same darned questions so many times it's pretty darned hard to stay patient when some one just jumps in and asks again. Second, Virtually anything you might need to know has almost undoubtedly been answered many times already. Third, You need to know enough to ask good questions and better still understand the answers. Remember me saying your question isn't possible to answer meaningfully? That's why.

Honest we're not trying to discourage you, we want you to join the ranks of this crazy gang of iron banging maniacs but it's a LOT more to learn than most folk realize and NO "what everybody  knows" is mostly urban myth, BS.

If you do some reading there's a good chance the light will just flash on and you won't need help. Expect to find out what you think you need to know by just jumping in with questions and you'll most probably follow an all too common model of the guy who endlessly asks questions all over the internet but doesn't know the guy who he THINKS just answered a question is even more clueless.

Get up to speed a little and there are a bunch of folk here who'd love to help you out. I'm one of them.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wyoming 97,

Patience, Little One. First take one step, it doesn't matter which foot first. Stop, Look Listen, Is it safe to take another Step? Read, Little One!!! Read many volumes of similar previously asked Questions. Make sure you are comfortable and have your refreshments ready. Use an old fashioned Pencil to make marks on who cares how cluttered the paper is. it will be more cluttered!! If you can't find any pencil or paper, STOP!!!! Do something else, You have failed the First Step!!! Proceed, Little One, VERY CAREFULLY. Your Life depends on Careful!! Enjoy the Journey, Little One. Many have come before you!!

Neil

I'm with Frosty on this one, Wyomingforger97, make a big pot of coffee, grab a comfy chair, and bunker down for hours upon hours of research.   The forge dimensions you posted sounds like a huge forge to build.  Is this your first build?  If it is, I would recommend building a smaller one to start.  My go to forge is the freon tank design you can find all over the internet, I have a 5 burner majestic forge I bought when I was getting started forging thinking "Bigger is better", and believe me, it isn't.  Unless you plan on making Scottish Claymors, a simple 2 burner forge will cover most forging needs. 

Just wanted to thank you all again for the guiding words. Frosty especially has been enlightneing me on the process and I'm considering the freon tank design with Frosty burners. If anyone knows any smiths near Cody Wyoming who wouldn't mind a college kid dropping in over the summer to learn the trade I'd much appreciate the chance, I don't have anyone local to teach me correct techniques and one can only learn so much from YouTube and DIY shows.

once again, thank you all