I Forge Iron

Rebuilding old forges

Wicked Edges

Hi everyone, new here and hope you can help. 

It took me 20 years but I finally talked my Dad out of his old forges. They need some work but I'm excited to do it. 

My plan is to put 2" ceramic blanket covered with 3/8" of refractory cement in these. The question is should I put anything on the hood? Worried about creating something too hot to move material in and out of. Any ideas?

ill try to post pics of them. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you will be using solid fuel then blanket is not needed or suggested.  I'd look up some of the fireclay mixes or rammable refractory ones if you want to be fancy; Here in the USA I've used clay out of the yard or creek sometimes mixed with wood ashes. (Oklahoma, Arkansas, Ohio and New Mexico locations)

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many IFI members live within visiting distance.

No, that is a completely inappropriate liner for a solid fuel pan forge. At most an inch or so of rammed DAMP sandy clay mix is all it needs. Clay and ashes is good but NO binders beyond clay. No plaster, cement, stove cement, mortar, etc. JUST clay.

I like 2-3 pts sand to 1pt. clay and just damp enough to make a hard clump when squeezed in your hand.

Oh yeah, nice scores you have there. Be sure to make your Dad something nice to say thanks.

Frosty The Lucky.

Your other option is to make a thin steel pan to line the rusted out one, from their you can fill it with sand and ash, dampen the center and make a fire bowl. When done so so the sand out into a steel pail to make it easer to move. 

The hooded unit is meant to be installed inside, you might investigate  installing a flue

Yep the hood is for inside but no where near the room inside to do it. I use my plasma cutter and welder outside, as well. 

Sand isn't an issue but good clay might be.

ill see what I can find.

Thanks

Frosty,

I've had a set designed in my head for about 20 years. That's what I planned on doing for him. I even have an old large file that was is his shop, my whole life, for material.

He requested a working bear trap, though so I guess he'll get that also.

Thanks

Sounds like you need to build a shop, or evict the wife's car. 

Good luck with the latter

I would think 16g would be fine, the sand protects the pan from the heat. 

Honestly consider a permanent Shed for the hooded unit (even an I closed trailer) and use the other one for a portable, that's what is was built for