I Forge Iron

Kindling Chopper

Buchan

Hello All,

kindling chopper made from an old 12" file, shaped the blade and bevels in the forge then went over it with the flap disc. i used the propane torch to temper it to a straw/gold colour.

Handle is made from an old hickory hammer shaft shaped with the flap disc.

Good heavy chopper that does the job.

Cheers

Iain B

IMG_20160308_143616.jpg

Looks pretty good. Don't the teeth drag going through wood? How far did you draw the temper back on the spine? I tend to pry with my kindling splitters so I really like a spring temper on the spine. It lets me clobber it with another piece of firewood if a knot gets in the way.

Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello Frosty,

I heated above the ground edge on the file teeth and let the heat run down to the blade.

It doesn't drag to much, as you said I hack it into the log and give it a twist to pop off the kindler.

Cheers

Iain B

I've been thinking of making a froe for a living room kindling splitter but they're not too good without a mallet and I have enough stuff around the stove. Including cats and the Dachshund keeping toasty.

Our stack didn't pass inspection when we had it swept last week so it's out of action till we can have it replaced. It's been so warm the last couple winters we haven't been getting the fire hot enough so it's sooting up the stack and evidently caught fire a couple times. I used "Metalbestos" triple wall stove pipe because I believe in overkill when lives depend on it. So, even though there was a stack fire it didn't overheat the outside of the pipe but the stack is dead till it's replaced and I don't go up on the roof anymore.

This is going to cost too, I built it into a wall in the upstairs hallway. Don't yell guys the compartment it's in is lined with taped and mudded cement backer board and the pipe is hangers exceed code by 2x the spacing. Still, it's gotta get changed. I'm wondering if the lower fuel oil costs might make it worth not supplementing our heat with wood. Have to wait on the estimate and see.

Might not need a new kindling spiltter. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

.....he quenched it in water.

Cheers

Iain B

Frosty,

Is the inside of your flue pipe burnt out or does it just need swept?

If you had to replace it, could you run twin walled flue up the outside of your house instead of removing the existing flue?

Would be less damage on the wallet that way.

Cheers

Iain B

The pipe's burnt. The first inter layer is ceramic wool and it's exposed in a few places and the pipe is crumpling so it's replace it. They inspect with a scope when they sweep. I saw the video, it's no fooling shot.

I need to see about finding someone at church who won't mind doing a little sheet rock repair for reasonable. I think this time I'll put a door in rather than close it in completely.

Frosty The Lucky.

I just looked up tickets just for fun and I have to admit there was more than a little shocked when I saw the price. I don't know what labor goes for there but I know it would take me a weeks work here to come pretty close to the cost of those tickets. So I guess we need to line it up when I get my vacation lol.

seriously though I do hope you can find someone who'll do you right on the work you need. There are so many crooks out there no days doing work for people when then don't have a clue what or how to do what they are doing. I could tell you a couple stories of people I personally know that got burnt by some of these guys.

Hello Big gun and Theo,

I have hacked nearly 5 logs the size of the one in the picture, no problems yet.

I will let you know how it goes though.

I heated it till it was non magnetic then quenched in water, would it be better to do this but in oil instead? I have still to read a lot of info on this site but i'll get there yet.

Learning by mistakes is my method.....

Cheers

Iain B

Most of us are not young enough to  re-make all the mistakes necessary to get good and so we try to learn from *other* peoples' mistakes; so we can apply our limited time to learning from new and improved mistakes. PLEASE do not try to learn from the mistakes about NOT WEARING PPE.  The tales of folks having stuff dug out of their eyes are the *good* *ones*. I know a person who lost an eye and while it was a learning experience it's not one I would suggest.

PPE is never an off topic subject. The retirement plan of most blacksmiths in the "good old days" was losing the other eye. All the blacksmith gods and depictions of old time smiths were one eyed for a reason.

Frosty The Lucky.

For sure, PPE is part of my daily life at work and in the shed, not worth risking life, sight or limb for anything.

I've seen some horrendous injury's on building sites due to lack of PPE, there is no excuse for not being protected.