I Forge Iron

Flatter dimensions

Does anyone know the dimensions to use when forging a flatter? What stock size, size of face, size of striking end. I'll be using this flatter in the proces of forgeing hammers. Also if you could post a picture, so that I can decide if I like the design. Thanks!

Littleblacksith 

There are some videos on YouTube .one guy on here I think his name is tubbe abjorn or something like that has a good video on a flatter and tells the size stock he uses. But no one flatter is gona fit everybody's needs. Just for a little insight I think 1.5" to 2" round makes a size flatter I like. And the length doesn't matter you can trim the length down. Check out that video ,he uses a jig for upsetting and it makes a great looking shoulder on his flatter

Making a flatter is alot of work. I use 2" stock and draw a taper from 1.5" to 1" at the struck end with the face being 2.5-3". Even easier and in some cases, better, is a set hammer (used like a flatter but made to isolate transitions) where all you need to do is punch an eye and taper the struck end. I use my set hammer in hammer making often. Flatters, not so much. They have their place but the face extending beyong the shank is not good for defining a corner as a set hammer is. I use 4150 for mine. Make it the size and style that will fit YOUR needs. 

10 hours ago, John McPherson said:

Since you are in Texas, and everything HAS to be bigger in Baha Oklahoma.........

BIG flatter.JPG

i like how the description of it says "big flatter"  fits it pretty good. that's a really simple idea that I like.

8 hours ago, ForgeMan32 said:

There are some videos on YouTube .one guy on here I think his name is tubbe abjorn or something like that has a good video on a flatter and tells the size stock he uses. But no one flatter is gona fit everybody's needs. Just for a little insight I think 1.5" to 2" round makes a size flatter I like. And the length doesn't matter you can trim the length down. Check out that video ,he uses a jig for upsetting and it makes a great looking shoulder on his flatter

thanks that video was very helpful!

7 hours ago, Crazy Ivan said:

Making a flatter is alot of work. I use 2" stock and draw a taper from 1.5" to 1" at the struck end with the face being 2.5-3". Even easier and in some cases, better, is a set hammer (used like a flatter but made to isolate transitions) where all you need to do is punch an eye and taper the struck end. I use my set hammer in hammer making often. Flatters, not so much. They have their place but the face extending beyong the shank is not good for defining a corner as a set hammer is. I use 4150 for mine. Make it the size and style that will fit YOUR needs. 

I also like your dimensions you used. I guess ill just mix all of these ideas and come up with something that will fix my needs.

Littleblacksmith

On 3/12/2016 at 4:05 AM, John McPherson said:

Since you are in Texas, and everything HAS to be bigger in Baha Oklahoma.........

BIG flatter.JPG

I see there's folk in Texas who rail against lumpy forgings.

I'm not clear though, what's big about Texas, and . . . Oklahoma? Oh, OH I get it now! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frosty The Lucky.

• 5 years later...