I Forge Iron

Local Festival Sports Blacksmith Demo

Upon attending a maple syrup event I spotted a blacksmith set up near a log cabin.  He had a wicked cool forge; Buffalo rivet with hand operated lever like a bellows That rotates a gear and belt drive.Worked great and smooth.  So I asked some questions and that is when he botched the demo. At least he was making attempts to smith.

The anvil was cast iron with a flat-ish shape horn. Ok. You gottat have something.  I didn't want to say anything concerning his answers but if you go.......and folks ask questions. ........have "some" knowledge. 

The fire is not 1,400° F when hot.

The workpiece is not 1, 200° F when "white hot"

A nail header hole is not round. Likewise a hand forged nail is not round.

A hardie cutter doesn't have to be made from tool steel.

Charcoal CAN be used in a forge for fuel.

. . . . . .cuz you just never know who will show up! ! ! !

I had a guy tell me at one of my demos that real blacksmiths never used charcoal for fuel - always coal or coke. I guess some smiths make mistakes with their answers but not nearly so many stupid things as you hear from onlookers.

You can be a fine smith but know squat about the history of smithing past the last 100 years.  Your interest may be in the making of forged items and so not spend thousands on books and read medieval descriptions of iron and steel at the breakfast table.  People tend to believe that things went on like they know how to do them; sometimes having them watch Japanese smiths using charcoal to smelt iron sand and then forge a katana from the bloom all using charcoal and done just last year won't convince people!  Then there are the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" AKA "the one book wonders"  Had one telling me they used coal even before 1000 AD because there was a record of an item being rented for 3 wagon loads of coal...unfortunately he didn't realize that at the date it was written "coal" meant charcoal---just like we talk about the coals of a wood fire to this day!  I have no problem with someone saying "I don't know"; but I do object for folks spreading false information! (though some of the false information spread in medieval times is amusing nowadays...)

I have a book from 1753 that contains recipies on how to do things. It is amazing what people did believe. Just one little piece of info:

"If someone has put a pox on your gun. Put some moss from a skull between the gunpowder and the bullet. Then no pox works. Of course all smiths know that if you quench iron in garlic juice it turns to steel.

3 hours ago, gote said:

I have a book from 1753 that contains recipies on how to do things. It is amazing what people did believe. Just one little piece of info:

"If someone has put a pox on your gun. Put some moss from a skull between the gunpowder and the bullet. Then no pox works. Of course all smiths know that if you quench iron in garlic juice it turns to steel.

And tastes good! Steel carbonara mmmmmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hope he wasn't making the Maple Syrup! 

He was maybe quoting what he had been told in his one class, correct facts on most subjects are hard to come by but incorrect facts are readily available.  The people he was talking to knew nothing about it so now they know less than nothing with incorrect facts but they might be passing it on.  Sounds like a couple other groups today.

11 hours ago, gote said:

It is amazing what people did believe.

Many years ago, when Roy Underhill was the "Housewright" at Colonial Williamsburg, I spent a fair amount of time, observing and participating ( if you showed up 2 days in a row, Roy would put you to work ) in some of their projects.

I particularly remember a discussion we had, while charring the ends of the "Poles" that were to be set in the ground, as supports for a small "Pole Building".

Historically, this was done to fence posts and other wood that came into contact with the ground, to "prevent rot".

When asked the obvious question, "does that really work" ?

Roy, whose tongue was always lodged firmly "in cheek", would reply, "well, not anymore, but it must have back then, because everybody did it".

Since there is no food for fungi and soil microbes in charcoal the charring may slow down rotting a litle bit. Old wooden fences used to be charred here too and they can become surprisingly old but the use of slow growing resin rich wood was probably the main factor.

1 hour ago, gote said:

Since there is no food for fungi and soil microbes in charcoal the charring may slow down rotting a litle bit. Old wooden fences used to be charred here too and they can become surprisingly old but the use of slow growing resin rich wood was probably the main factor.

I think that's a good hypothesis, charring would also sterilize the wood. Sterile can't rot.

No thanks Gote, garlic steel sounds tasty but . . . NO thanks, heck I don't even like the smell of kidney pie.

Frosty The Lucky.