I Forge Iron

horseshoe horse head

Hello all,  been absent from the forum for a couple of years, decided to fire up the forge again and using my new welder to make a horse head for a good friend of mine. The shoes are all used from her farm and each is tied to a current or past horse she has owned.  This is my first sculpture and I really enjoyed making it, I look forward to making more in the future.  The eye is copper sheet TIG welded into the steel frame and the ears are forged from pieces of a large circular saw blade.  I have already given it to her and she loves it, which is all I can ask.DSC_0544.thumb.JPG.cc56320d9cd2de4d6d001DSC_0548.thumb.JPG.bcd4ad09ae2ca624002d7DSC_0547.thumb.JPG.7515ffe6e05d5ede0a91a

DSC_0545.JPG

DSC_0546.JPG

Thanks everyone, my next one I will remove the flat bar that I used to shape the nose and part of the head. Maybe tack weld the shoes to it then cut it and remove it after the shoes are welded? The hair is 13 shoes cut in half, drawn out at the tip, twisted then bent over and welded to the "crest" of the neck.

That is a very nice piece, with very appropriate use of materials. Those horse shoes are so handy ... and always easy metal to weld. I like the tangled mane and the way you have backed the 'eye shoe'. Well done!!

Thanks guys, we have 4 of the real thing and this is by far the cheapest type of horse to own! I'm working on a unicorn for my daughter right now, so far I have made the most important part out of a farriers rasp.

IMAG0234.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the start of the unicorn, the eye Is something different I tried, steel from a 45 gallon drum and the eye is actually the steel toe cap from my old work boots. That's what I call recycling!  I kind of like the contrast.  

IMAG0333.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! How far are you going to go with it? 

I Love where your going with the drum steel and yes the steel toe work perfect for the eye. Horn looks great made from the farriers rasp. Looking good. Can't wait to see how this one ends up. 

I only planned to do the eye area with the steel sheet, but it kind of looks like a mask and I might cover the rest of the head or use this technique on another horse. Tomorrow I am going to do some more work on it, unfortunately life and work get in the way at times! Stay tuned for an update :-)

• 7 months later...