I Forge Iron

So I found an anvil on CL and struck an internet deal with the lady at $3 a lb for this guy. I haven't seen it in person yet, and all I know is from her add (so I really know nothing). She said it was her late husbands, and was used at a logging camp from 1920-1930 before he got ahold of it. He was supposedly a collector of anvils and this is the only one that's left. its between 2-250# 25.5"x5"x13" It's 3 hours away so I'm hoping to get a little insight before I commit to a 6 hour trip just to find out its a cast pile poo that isn't going to out perform my RR track. Any insight would be appreciated, currently waiting to hear back if there are any markings on it. Will update with her response.

00z0z_dTofIvuhKDo_600x450.jpg.fe1dc981d056d2a8523a237_anvil2.jpg.b80a63b6fbdb56156d2a85300232_anvil3.jpg.086f29f422c326656d2a853b2e20_anvil4.jpg.2fb47bd349b340c

It looks like a Peter Wright with those flats on the feet but I think some Trenton anvils had those also. It looks to be in really nice condition but who knows what that paint is hiding, it'll be next to impossible to check the rebound with the face painted like that. You might want to ask nicely if she'll let you remove the paint from the face so you can test what you're buying, otherwise it's a total gamble.

Good luck with it!

Like foundryman said, it's either a Peter Wright or a Trenton. My bet is that it's a Peter Wright because of the handling hole in the front feet. Those aren't the best pictures to guess from though and that paint hides any potential markings. Scrape the paint off the face to test the rebound before buying it. 

I doubt if any "Collector" of anvils would paint one tike that. You will spend hours trying to remove that paint and will never really get it all off without sandblasting (That I do not recomend)

There could be weld repair under that paint I would use a wire wheel on an angle grinder to check the condition of the face at that price. At $1.00 a pound I would take it as is.

4 hours ago, clinton said:

I doubt if any "Collector" of anvils would paint one tike that. You will spend hours trying to remove that paint and will never really get it all off without sandblasting (That I do not recomend. 

With some good PPE paint strippers work. 

Im pretty sure its a peter wright which woud be a good anvil. Bring a bathroom scale cause those dimensions would make it in the 160 to 180 lb range. Most people are way off when estimating weight of anvils and when usually pricing is per lb it becomes significant.

In case your unfamiliar with the weight markings Peter Wright used it is the english hundred weight system. There should be 3 numbers stamped below the logo. The first number is 112lb increments, 2nd is 28lb increments and 3rd is lbs. so if it is 170 lb you would see 1    2    2 on the side. There is usually a large space between the numbers.

Best of luck and dont hesitate if it is a good one cause it wont last long!

Pig in a poke; looks like some weld repair done poorly by that tape measure on the face picture.  I tell folks that painting the anvil drops the price as you can't tell the real condition of it.  Definitely bring a scale if it's a per pound deal as even the markings can be off and usually the weight is *under* what is claimed.

Personally I would not pay US$3 a pound for an anvil with a welded on face.

I got an e-mail reply from her today saying it is stamped either 1-2-015 or 15. I was also scared by the paint, and because it's my first anvil so I'm trigger shy of getting screwed and then eating a big chunk of change. I met with a guy the day before this posted with a little anvil and I did the bearing drop test (read about on this site) and it was bouncing around 10% on rebound. I had to pass on it, then he said he had a 110# and a 190# around back and both those were 80ish% rebound but he wanted $5 a lbs and said "my buddy gets 6-7 a pound all day at the flea market over in seattle." I thanked him for his time and left my number in case he came across anymore that he would be willing to part with for $4 a lb and I would be back.

Thank you guys for your help thus far. I think I'll be driving down to look at this one tomorrow. I'll throw the scale in the trunk :)

That would work out to 183lb. Has a price been mentioned yet? Will the owner let you scrape some of the paint off to do a rebound test? The weld is not a good sign but it may not have damaged it too badly. If the price is within your range it still might be worth looking at!

Bring a can of goof off see if they'll let you take the paint off the top to if that's a weld or a chip. Plus paint that thick hides a lot of dings and chips. 

8 hours ago, CoyoteGear said:

I got an e-mail reply from her today saying it is stamped either 1-2-015 or 15. I was also scared by the paint, and because it's my first anvil so I'm trigger shy of getting screwed and then eating a big chunk of change. I met with a guy the day before this posted with a little anvil and I did the bearing drop test (read about on this site) and it was bouncing around 10% on rebound. I had to pass on it, then he said he had a 110# and a 190# around back and both those were 80ish% rebound but he wanted $5 a lbs and said "my buddy gets 6-7 a pound all day at the flea market over in seattle." I thanked him for his time and left my number in case he came across anymore that he would be willing to part with for $4 a lb and I would be back.

Thank you guys for your help thus far. I think I'll be driving down to look at this one tomorrow. I'll throw the scale in the trunk :)

Being in Seattle at those prices I'd get a a nimba anvil. 

Thank you all for your help, I ended up picking up this 128# Peter Wright for a closed down blacksmith shop today. Spent 2 hours walking around a closed blacksmith school (old cedar forge) and looking at all the cool old stuff, too bad it's shut down, but the master smith there was more than willing to share some knowledge and hook up an aspiring junior smith with his first anvil. Too bad I couldn't have done an apprenticeship there, I bet they had a blast everyday.

20160229_164339-1.jpg