I Forge Iron

Bearing Steel?

1 hour ago, natenaaron said:

When people talk about bearing steel are they referring to the Race, the ball or both?

I believe both are high carbon and can be used, assuming you have the wherewithal to forge them into useful forms.  Don't forget roller bearings... pretty much the same thing as balls but closer to a usable form.

Old rock crusher balls? As in ball mill balls? These are usually steels with a high manganese content and they are intended to self harden. I have a few , however I have been somewhat leery of putting a ball that's incredibly hard under a press or power hammer(call me a wuss for not wanting to catch a super hot cannon ball in the nether regions )

Ian is right, ball mill balls are high manganese steel and don't forge well if at all. Manganese steel was the hardest thing to deal with learning hard facing. Yeah, I've actually taken classes in hard facing even though about 90% didn't apply to what I was hard facing but it was paid for by Lincoln so the bosses sent me. It wasn't wasted time though I've used the schooling far more repairing anvils than I ever did on drill steel.

Manganese and HOT are not a good combination Mg steels have a limited hot time after which the crystal structure self destructs. I never thought about it before but I bet a person could put a mill ball in a forge at red heat and watch it happen, it'd last a couple minutes max, maybe. Heck it might not even last long enough to soak to the center of a large ball. Be aware if you want to give that a try, Mg. steels can break violently so rig a scatter shield, something to keep the HOT pieces from scattering to the flammable stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.

50 minutes ago, ianinsa said:

Old rock crusher balls? As in ball mill balls? These are usually steels with a high manganese content and they are intended to self harden. I have a few , however I have been somewhat leery of putting a ball that's incredibly hard under a press or power hammer(call me a wuss for not wanting to catch a super hot cannon ball in the nether regions )

so your press is not designed to have several layers of steel between you and the work?

even with my tiny press there are 2 layers of metal between me and the hot metal most of the time, if anything comes out it can go right or left but is less likely to go towards me.

I tend to look around the side post most of the time

Natenaaron, thanks for the response.  My application calls for the nearly spherical condition - but as Thomas Powers says, some may drool for that "just right" shape. If you ever found it convenient to acquire an image or two.......       And yes I have read some of your other content and know that you have plenty on your plate as it is.      Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
remove superfluous text field

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2016 at 0:07 PM, Anachronist58 said:

Natenaaron, thanks for the response.  My application calls for the nearly spherical condition - but as Thomas Powers says, some may drool for that "just right" shape. If you ever found it convenient to acquire an image or two.......       And yes I have read some of your other content and know that you have plenty on your plate as it is.      Robert Taylor

I am planning a trip to the scrap yard next week and will get some pics.

On 2/29/2016 at 11:44 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Natenaaron; you are making the armourer's drool now, lot harder to get oblong stakes than spherical ones!

I don't understand what this means.

Nate, few parts of the human body are perfectly circular/spherical (even hemi)  So if you are trying to make plate armour that is supposed to fit well on a human body having nothing but circular/spherical tools makes it harder rather than easier.  Most folks with experience know how to make a human shape using the round/sphere tooling but a lovely stake that "just right" can really speed up and make it easier!  As an example look at helmets and compare the hemispherical ones with the shaped ones.