I Forge Iron

Build your own Blacksmithing Story

Glenn

Got an idea for the story page of IForgeIron.com Why not a blacksmithing related story with everyone able to contribute. Each person adds just a little to the story wth each post.

It was a dark and stormy night .. .. no, the dog already did that one.

The leaves were just starting to change color as autum approached. We opened the smithy that morning to find ..

Well you get the idea. Just be sure to leave the door open for the next fellow

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...that a huge oak limb had fallen in the night. It glanced off the chimney and punched a hole in the roof so we had some extra work that day. Fortunately, the roof wasn't in great shape to start, so a few shingles would do the job nicely. Old Man Schumann was due in at 9:00 for repair to his...

.....cant hook to jocky this shingle log into place. I remember, Jacko down the road's got it. He used it to roll a log off his mother-in-law. He said it was a log, maybe it was just his mother-in-law. If I can get onto him early he can bring it this morning with his spreader. Jacko Schumann's a nice enough bloke but a terrible borrower. Last thing he borrowed was.....

clearin rocks from his south pasture (down by the mill). Fortunately, being close to the mill he got his load dumped before the axle was broke plumb through. We've got the wagon rear on blocks ( I loaned my good wagon jack to Smith's brother ). I seldom loan tools but the Smith boys are good friends and good customers. Now, if I could just find my.....

...get the axle fixed. I have a sinking feeling that the toolbox was "borrowed" just like the rest of my stuff. You know how kids are - "...my stuff belongs to me and so does yours". At any rate, I also need to get into the shop and get a fire going, but there is always more work than I can do in a day. Oh well, like the old saying goes - it keeps me out of the bars and off the streets so I'm off to fix Smith's problem first, but then I'll have to decide whether to...

about that time brother James from down the road came in and wanted to know if we could make a coffin for the undertaker next door to him as he had died in the night from an overdose of medicinal bourbon,,um I mean embalming fluids! "Well I guess so" said I. We procceded to remove the branch from the roof, when,,,

box of Borax, ripped off the top, and slung it all over both of them. She made a rash comment about how James should know that bath day wasn't 'till next Saturday, and it's good manners to let the ladies and children clean up first. I just kept my head down untill she was out the door. After she left, I broke out laughing so hard, I stumbled and hit my head on the....

...in his typically laconic, Australian drawl "By jingoes mate, avalookuttya! grab the Rawlieghs anticeptic Nursey...in a four gallon bucket and be quick about it." I haven't seen a cut like that since Adam played full back for Eden Thirds and collected a maggot's bootstop across the noggin, nor as foul a shed since the rats deserted the chookhouse cos it was too dirty. The Doc had done his time in the outback, somewhere beyond Bourke, on The Darling, where every utterance, nod or perse of the lips was understood perfectly. But here in the Good Old U. S. of A. people generally replied with blank faces. or the universal "ughh!" Someone began to translate, explaining.....

the neighbor widows big cast iron wash kettle, she's madder than haddies even though I took it down to the shop and fixed it. She used to like me and would bake me one of her scrumptuos pies or a cake about once a week. Now no more pies or cakes she says and she ain't gonna do my washing and ironing anymore either. I'm gonna take that old muzzle loading flintlock down to the shop and.......