I Forge Iron

Kombuki Man

Daswulf

A friend asked what I was making and off the top of my head, thinking a figure as pictured, I said Kombuki Man. I'd have sworn it existed and I was just being silly. After googling it there is no Kombuki Man that I can find so here it is. 

Kombuki Man. A native of Australia preparing the aborigines. Waring race wiped out by peace and the love of nature. Known for their big mouths and flapping tongues. Historians believe some have survived and have migrated to North America and are into politics. 

:) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

31 minutes ago, coldironkilz said:

That's great Das. What are you doing to clean up your parts?

Wire wheel mostly. I have a 1hp grizzly buffer with wire wheels on it then several types on air tools.  If they are really greasy they get a soak in the parts cleaner then wire wheeled. Just make sure any cleaner solution is dry and off of it before welding. Was reading some posts not long ago that some of the chemicals and welding/heat can make some nasty harmful fumes. Respirator is good to wear regardless. 

Good thinking to bolt the alloy head on! Not easy to weld that stuff! I like the rocker feet.

How come your shop floor is so clean? When I finish a thing there's rejected scrap lying around everywhere. :)

Looks like a character from the animated movie Robots.  The things you and aus come up with are always so cool. I find myself looking forward seeing what's next. I don't seem to be able to see the vision to make things like that. My mind just doesn't work that way. 

3 hours ago, ausfire said:

How come your shop floor is so clean? When I finish a thing there's rejected scrap lying around everywhere. :)

I clean up a little for some photos. :D believe me, there is a pile of small scrap pieces on the floor behind me from those pictures. Really need to make some bins to organize that stuff. 

The oportunity was there to use bolts for the aluminum parts so it worked out. 

2 hours ago, JeepinJoe said:

Looks like a character from the animated movie Robots.  The things you and aus come up with are always so cool. I find myself looking forward seeing what's next. I don't seem to be able to see the vision to make things like that. My mind just doesn't work that way. 

I haven't seen that movie Joe. Might have to rent it.  I look forward to seeing what Aus comes up with as well, and when a piece comes together for me it's really fun. I'm always getting ideas for sculptures. Or I'll find a piece of scrap that looks like part of something that just needs brought back to life.  

10 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You're KILLING me Das! I thought Kombuki man had googly eyes but I'm no expert. What does your mailbox look like!

Frosty The Lucky.

I may be doctoring up Kombuki Man. :) he may be getting teeth, eyes and a head dress or mohawk. 

I've had ideas for a nifty mailbox but unfortunately so far it's a boring old mailbox. :( how about a large dragons head? They would be afraid to give me bills. :D 

Perhaps we need a thread for creative mailboxes, Das. I made one for a friend with a skeleton holding the mailbox in one hand and a miner's pick in the other. They had it proudly on their fence line until some low life stole it.

Anyway, here is something I was working on today. Been trying to find another use for tappet rockers and thought I would make a pair of funny birds. These are rockers from a Cessna and after I bead-blasted them, they came out pink. Copper coating I think. They welded OK but I made sure the respirator was cranked up.

The bodies are jaws from a big pair of boltcutters and the necks are rebar brick ties. The legs are Cessna engine head bolts and the feet are piano pins.

Didn't think they deserved a new topic so I hope you don't mind me tacking them onto yours.

tappet birds.jpg

tappet birds 2.jpg

They are a cute set! Aus You are most certainly always welcome to post your awesome art anywhere. I love seeing it.  

Those rocker arms are great. yes I'd guess a light copper coating. they would make a great (larger) seahorse if you cut the part you have the neck attached to off maybe. I have a junk pair of bolt cutters laying around somewhere, need to dig them out and see what they say to me. :) 

I'm still slowly working on the dog but i have other ideas popping up all the time. There's no rush on the dog either. 

Yes, the rockers would make great seahorses. They are convincing baby crocodiles too. 

Your bolt cutter jaws will be very useful. I have used them for fish shapes and butterfly wings. Left as a pair they would be awesome giant spider fangs.

As you have no doubt found out, things which come in pairs are very handy. I tie identical scrap pieces together to find them easily for future use.

I'm waiting to see how your dog sculpture goes. People like dogs. I did one some years ago using the jaws of an old dingo trap for his mouth. The growliest, angriest looking thing .. but it had character. And I have made a sausage dog (wiener dog in the U.S.) from an old oxy tank and a bike seat. It sits in our yard next to a dogwood tree. I'll get a picture of it.

What pieces have you in mind for your dog? 

Being that it's a black lab and he wants it to have a dumb look on its face I'm using lawnmower blades folded over for the ears. Used a cut cylinder from a bottle jack cut and forge folded a bit for the upper and lower muzzle. Bulk and back part of the head s a large throw out bearing and neck will be a larger diameter spring so the head can bobble and cock to the sides. I fear I over welded on the head so far but I think there is room to fix it up. So far the parts I used look like a dog nose but it's hard to tell what they were originally. I'll see how it goes. Other then that I'm making the head first then gauging the full size to match. 

Yup matching parts are great. And I forgot to mention in the last reply I like the mailbox post idea. Might take me a lil bit to have something to post there. 

Would love to see your dog :)

4 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Would love to see your dog :)

OK, done. Bear in mind these were done several years ago and are really in need of a good clean up. The wiener dog used to be shiny brown but he's looking a bit faded after years in the sun. He was one of those quick sculptures to get rid of an old oxy bottle that had been lying around getting in the way. Used a minimum of stuff - old bike seat. two bearings, four rail spikes and half a horse shoe. Oh, and a boot heel for a collar.

The second one is a garage door stop. Railway iron, rail clip, bumper overider, half a horseshoe and dog spikes (of course).

bumper dog1.jpg

wiener dog 2.jpg

wiener dog1.jpg

bumper dog2.jpg

Aus, I wouldn't judge you badly. Everything I see I love. These pooches are cool.  Great use of parts and they are cute. The wiener dogs head had to be a pain to weld up. :) 

ok ok here's some pics in progress. Which isn't much. 

Second pics are of what I'm actively working on. Originally it would be done but I decided to torment myself making a skull biting the upper part of the steering wheel. 

Might get a foot on a gas pedal too. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ausfire,

Those bird legs are crankcase through bolts, and if they're from a Cessna then they're probably from a Continental, I had to torque up heaps of them in a previous life, Every time I see one of your sculptures with aircraft bits in them it brings back memories.

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for the correction. I'm not even sure those bolts were from a Cessna. Just that my LAME mate seems to work mostly on Cessnas. I owned a 172M for a few years but it had a Lycoming engine. Still got the timed out prop hanging on the loungeroom wall.

Seems a lot of aircraft parts are cadmium (?) coated, so I'm careful to use the respirator when welding them. I'll call those bolts crankcase bolts in future. I have a bucket load of them.

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Das: Is the name of that piece, "Keep Your Hands ON the Wheel?"

I'm thinking you guys should have your own section. We can call it something like, "'Smile Today."

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty I like that name. How about "Driving up Daisies" 

I love when people here post pictures of their work on here. It either makes me smile, stare in awe, or cringe a little. :) 

That's a good one! The piece posies so many possibilities, I wonder what others will wheel out?

I'm with you, seeing folk's work is a highlight of my days some stuff leaves me breathless and some leaves me wondering what they were thinking showing THAT in public. Sometimes it's the only reason I turn my computer on.

Frosty The Lucky.