I Forge Iron

Please explain Anvil Identification

The number and location of handling holes is indicative of makers too. I'd have to have "Anvils in America" to run through the specifics though.

I'd stand pat on PW with those ledges on the feet and no deep hourglass on the bottom.

100 years ago was after WWI how did you think they did all the work on Battleships, tanks and field artillery without good drills?   Yes we have *BETTER* ones today.  "Practical Blacksmithing", Richardson; has a number of pages on making drill bits and drilling equipment and it was from 1889, 1890 and 1891.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Good Morning Brian,

It may have been made January 8, 1835. Or was that a Tuesday when it was windy. If you expect a knowledgeable answer, give us something to make sense with. Clean it with a wire wheel on an angle grinder (make sure you have safety glasses and clothing coverage) the spears from the wire wheel will stick into your clothing and any part of your body that is exposed. Rub chalk over the emblem and gently rub it with a soft cloth, the chalk may then be readable.

Put your general location in your Avatar. It is astounding how many members will live close to you. Third Rock from the Sun??

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

We have been living in our circa 1914 Newton MA house for 50+ years. We bought it from the family that built it. There was, and still is, an anvil in the basement. I don’t know anything about it. See no obvious markings. We’ve never used it.  We need to clean out the house. I’d like to find a home for the anvil. I don’t want it to end up in a dumpster. 

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

Pictures of both sides, under horn & heel and the bottom of the base will go a long way in the identification. Also knowing the weight. We won't remember your location once leaving this post but if you add it in your profile it will show up with every post.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails.

Hi Surfer, the face on that one looks a bit rough but it is still usable to someone in need. 

You could either try to sell it or donate it to a local blacksmith organization. It wouldn't fetch a premium but could be useful to a young blacksmith in need. Certainly would be sad for it to go to scrap or worse yet a dumpster. In most places it could easily fetch between $50-200. depending on its weight, maybe more but at an absolute guess it looks in the 100# range.  Donating to a local blacksmith organization would be great and they could find it a good home and continued life in use. Someone would even come do the lifting for you.