I Forge Iron

Looking for an Anvil in Georgia.

First post as a part of this community.  I have been working off a Harbor Freight Anvil for about 2 years now as a backyard Blacksmith.  I never really understood why people called bargain brand Anvils as "ASO" ( Anvil Shaped Objects ) until this weekend while hammering with my Grandfather and his friends on a REAL anvil.  To cut a long story short, I am a backyard blacksmith, I need a real Anvil.  About 100lbs.  I live in Acworth GA and am willing to travel.  Sadley Craigslist has a selection from dealers that want to price Anvils outside of the market of people that actually want to USE an anvil instead of display one as a piece of art ( Seriously, $600 for 100lbs with a face that is rounded off is insane ).  Does ANYONE in GA have an anvil with a hardy hole and a usable face and horn for a logical price?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.

Ianinsa, Ackworth, Georgia is outside of Atlanta, USA.  Probably about 8,000 miles from the Black Sea.

Malek, come to the Alex Bealer Blacksmithing meeting this next Saturday.  It is at Tom Davenhall's shop in Marietta.  While you are there ask people there and you may come up with something.  Go to www.alexbealer.org  scroll down to February 20 and click on February for directions.

See you there.

2 hours ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.c said:

Ianinsa, Ackworth, Georgia is outside of Atlanta, USA.  Probably about 8,000 miles from the Black Sea.

Malek, come to the Alex Bealer Blacksmithing meeting this next Saturday.  It is at Tom Davenhall's shop in Marietta.  While you are there ask people there and you may come up with something.  Go to www.alexbealer.org  scroll down to February 20 and click on February for directions.

See you there.

Is it just a show up kinda thing?  Don't want to be rude heh.

There's a trader that regularly posts his wares on CL.  Older gent and a great guy to talk to -- always got a dozen or more anvils for sale as well as all the other smithing gear you could ask for.  His prices are fair market prices, so don't expect a penny-a-pound deal.  If memory serves, he's just east of Atlanta.

I'll check around to see if I can find one of his listings.

24 minutes ago, VaughnT said:

There's a trader that regularly posts his wares on CL.  Older gent and a great guy to talk to -- always got a dozen or more anvils for sale as well as all the other smithing gear you could ask for.  His prices are fair market prices, so don't expect a penny-a-pound deal.  If memory serves, he's just east of Atlanta.

I'll check around to see if I can find one of his listings.

I just talked to him today I think!  He is selling me a 130lb on Saturday.  Has a large stock of tools and anvils, is barely north of me.

1 hour ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.c said:

Yup, just show up.  You won't be a stranger  long.  When you get there come over and speak to me and we will get you involved.

Wife informed me I am booked this Saturday with family stuff, and March 19th I am booked with an Art Show so it looks like April I will be able to attend the first meet up.  Now that I know they are the  3rd Saturday I can plan accordingly.  May be a couple months but I look forward to meeting up and sucking up some knowledge.

I have drill this Saturday, so no Bealer group for me this weekend, but I don't mind playing (in Marietta). Excellent group. 

There's (I forget his last name) Chuck, who regularly posts on CL in Acworth. He usually has a lot of tools, most of his anvils go 3 a lb. Know what you're looking for when you go, and test rebound. He's fair enough, but he doesn't forge, he buys them on trips up north and resells them. If you keep an eye out, a lot pop up cheaper at local farm auctions, but you may have to attend several before you see one. I've got a couple at one in Taylorsville, and a pretty Columbian at one north of Chatsworth.

Chuck also usually has hardys, tongs, forges, and other assorted goodies.

who made it? is it a hundred pounder? how much did it cost? if you don't mind me asking.

Littleblacksmith

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a coincidence! I also, live in Acworth, and I am also in need of an anvil. I may have lined up a section of train track later this week, I am waiting to hear back from the fellow. Disappointing to find out about this thread too late to hear about the meeting, my son and I would have enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2016 at 8:34 PM, littleblacksmith said:

who made it? is it a hundred pounder? how much did it cost? if you don't mind me asking.

Littleblacksmith

I forget the brand off the top of my head but it's 170lbs and I picked it up for $600.  Works like a dream.