I Forge Iron

2x36 vs 2x48 vs 4x48

-Quint-

Hello all, I'm in the market to upgrade from my HF piece of junkola (barely qualifies as a sander, never mind a grinder... they must use rocking horses to rate the power of their motors) to one of the attachments available for bench grinders and I'm wondering what the various opinions are out there on the advantages/disadvantages of one size as compared to the others.

I'm assuming the 48" belts have cooler working advantages over the 36" belts, as well as belt life advantages, but is it worth the $100 price difference? As far as the width, I guess that's a matter of personal preference and also partially dictated by the type of work expected to be done.

I know the easy curmudgeon type answer to my query is "tighten up your panties and build your own 2x72", but that's not really an option for me just yet...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, you're not going to find a good metal working grinder with the name craftsman or dewalt attached to it. You want a 2x72 So save your pennies until you can afford one or you're going to be paying a huge "graduation tax" as you move up.. There's reasons why those of us who do this for a living don't use the smaller belts and there's probably about a hundred topics already covering it. Personally I'm not going to spoon feed you encouragement by helping to justify what youre thinking of getting. Pony up the money and do it right the first time.

J

4 hours ago, natenaaron said:

JWS, you looking to make Senior Curmudgeon?  Based on my research JWS is right, though.  I'm currently saving my money to do it right, unless I man up and build one.

Yup.. lol It's kinda like making sainthood.. except instead of 3 miracles, you need to utterly obliterate 3 peoples hopes and dreams of setting up a shop with either scrap parts, cheap Chinese tools, free anvils, special hammers that still will never make them a better smith and pathetically undersized grinders.. :) It's kind of easy though, considering that no one searches for their answer anymore on the site, they just post a new topic and roll out the red carpet.. lol

-J

TANSTAAFL

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Every dreamer is still in search of that elusive Eldorado, that is always just around the next bend, and somehow undiscovered or unrecognized by the other 7 billion folks on this rock.

And if you have the audacity to point out to them that their Emperor has no clothes, then you, sir, are a curmudgeon. Wear that label proudly. It means that you have awoken from the dream, and face reality head-on.

If you go beyond that well-meaning enlightenment, and become abusive and delight in delivering the punishment, then you become a jerk, or worse.

16 hours ago, j.w.s. said:

Yup.. lol It's kinda like making sainthood.. except instead of 3 miracles, you need to utterly obliterate 3 peoples hopes and dreams

Oh well then you are qualified as a senior curmudgeon then im sure it has been atleast 3 people.

9 minutes ago, rthibeau said:

I use a 2 x 42 Craftsman belt sander for all my needs for hammers, tools, etc.  I do not make blades and that is a different animal altogether.  IMHO, the 2 x 42 would do well for anyone but a pro blade maker.

The best 2x42, or the only I've used worth it's salt, is the Jet 41002. Don't like the construction on the newer craftsman model or the palmgren model. At $439 you're better off coming up for the extra $36 for the Grizzly 2x72 - it's decent for what it is and able to take modifications nicely - plus that long arbor on the left side is nice for an expanded wheel, conditioning wheels or buffing wheels. Your grinder should have not just mass (which a decent bench can help you with) but also rigidity. The last thing you want is a springy platen or an arm that has elasticity or sway. Admittedly, I have an older model Delta 1x42 that I've made some decent blades on, but the plastic wheels are horrible, the tracking is wild and the platen is virtually non-existent. If I actually used it for something other than sharpening I'd have to drop some money to make it right and by that point I couldn't justify the overall expense.

J

I've had a Grizzly 2 x 72 knife sander for 20 + years,  used everyday in a full time professional shop.

I've replaced the bearing in the top idler wheel once after about 10 years and that's it.

Great powerful machine , lot's of choices of belts available from True Grit Abrasives

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:04 PM, j.w.s. said:

Ok, you're not going to find a good metal working grinder with the name craftsman or dewalt attached to it. You want a 2x72 So save your pennies until you can afford one or you're going to be paying a huge "graduation tax" as you move up.. There's reasons why those of us who do this for a living don't use the smaller belts and there's probably about a hundred topics already covering it. Personally I'm not going to spoon feed you encouragement by helping to justify what youre thinking of getting. Pony up the money and do it right the first time.

J

I never considered a craftsman or dewalt. I'm dumb, but not dumb enough to think I'd find what I needed from something that every hardware store has. I did search for a topic specifically covering the differences between these particular belt sizes and there wasn't one. Probably because everyone around here is already smart enough to know that it's 2x72 or bust.

I got a 2x48 attachment for my 1HP bench grinder and it's fantastic so far. If I'm ever good enough or smart enough to need more than what this is providing me I'll gladly pay a "graduation tax".

• 1 month later...

I have a 2x48 Baldor belt grinder (Which I think I heard was designed originally by Jim Baston), and it is nice, I like it, I love it.  Can't imagine life without it, but I can't get all the latest and greatest belts in that size.  For general blacksmith shop sharpening and shaping a decent 2x48 is fine.  The 2x72 just opens up so many more options in belts, and they aren't much more expensive than the 2x48 belts.  If I were trying to do knifemaking and bladesmithing professionally I would get a heavy duty 2x72 with a 3 phase motor & VFD, or the variable speed DC motor.  Time is money, belts are money too.  I like forging blades, and I like making steel, but I hate fit and finish... no professional knifemaking for me anymore...  A man has to know his limitations, and I have to be able to feed my family;-)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2016 at 3:43 PM, j.w.s. said:

J

The best 2x42, or the only I've used worth it's salt, is the Jet 41002. Don't like the construction on the newer craftsman model or the palmgren model. At $439 you're better off coming up for the extra $36 for the Grizzly 2x72...

I understand the sentiment... buy it good and buy it once... etc. But this mentality is a barrier to entry for the young and poor.

I could obtain a belt grinder 3 ways:

A: build a 2x72 for a hundred and a half, and sacrifice a couple weekends time.

B: drop 500 bucks on the problem.

C: buy a different disposable $20 sander off Craigslist every few weeks and use them until they burn up.

What's really wrong with option C? It's not ideal, but it's better than no grinder for the hobbyist.

1 hour ago, Firestarter said:

What's really wrong with option C? It's not ideal, but it's better than no grinder for the hobbyist.

Good Morning, F-Starter

There is nothing wrong with Option "C" if you are not purchasing any Belts. Who is to say the next 'Junk Yard Special' has the need for the same belts that you have in stock. JWS might appear to be a little abrupt in his thinking, BUT, it is the least expensive way to get Good Equipment. When you add up the $20.00 machine and at least $40.00 in Belts, from multiple purchases, you soon see the Cost = Effect percentage.

There are many different configurations of drawings for 2x72 Belt Grinders. Use what inventory you have available and be creative. Remember, 'Floor Boards' in Cars were not always metal.

Neil